Cubase 4le and Sonar x1 producer on 1 pc.

sausy1981

Hi guys, I've been using cubase le 4 for the last 5 yrs or so, I'm finally going to upgrade. I've been looking at sonar x1, I like the look of the new GUI, but I've been wondering if I bought sonar and installed it would it be ok to leave cubase on the pc aswell, I obviously wont be running both at the same time but still have a few projects in cubase that I want to finish and any new projects will be done in sonar, eventually cubase wil be phased out completely and I will only use sonar. My questions would be :
1. Can I install sonar x1 and get it to search steinberg vst folder for 3rd party vst that I have there, i.e. battery 3 and waves.
2. Can I export wav. files from cubase 4le and import them into sonar for mixing and mastering.

My PC specs are,
Processor : AMD Phenom 950 quad core
RAM : 4GB
Hard disk : 520GB
Secondary hard disk : 430GB
Interface : BR800

I always have a couple of questions regarding sonar itself, In cubase I don't input any midi from a controller, I pencil in the drums in the drum editor and thats the only midi track I use, I was wondering what its like to pencil in drum beats in sonar.

Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

Any help please?

1. Yes you can point Sonar at your current VST effects folder and it should pick them all up. It will even pick up the bundled cubase plugs (well duh, cause they are VST :-).
2. Yes you can export/render (if you have lots of edits - otherwise you can use the .wavs as is) your cubase tracks and mixes as .wav files and import them into Sonar for mixing and mastering (import meaning add them to the project).

Based on the length of time you have been using cubase I would really investigate Sonar X1 before purchasing. It can be really frustrating and time consuming un-learning all the mouse clicks and keystroke combinations and GUI you have learned over the past 5 years and re-learning them in a new DAW.

You can pick up the Cubase 6 Artist upgrade from LE4 for about $150 bucks. It also comes bundled with some inexpensive audio interfaces for around $200.

Thanks guys, thats great, might go for cubase 6, but it means I have to order it from abroad, no one seems to sell it in ireland, i got le4 bundled with an alesis io2 years ago.

wow - that's odd that they don't sell it there... The lite version shows up in lots of bundles here. Where are you at in Dublin. I lived there for a year or so back in the late 80s and have many great friends over there...

I live in dublin 7, beside phoinex park on the northside of dublin, I ended up buying sonar x1 producer 4 days ago and to be honest it was the best decision. Its so easy to use and the sonitus plugins work well, also the p64 vocal strip and p64 percussion strip are amazing. As always it's a learning curve when using a new DAW but learning on x1 is so easy and the cakewalk university videos really help.

Back