Crossgrade to ProTools 11 or go to Logic Pro X?

dukeh62

Would love some input here...I'm going to be tracking a session with my trio this summer, and my ProTools LE software is no longer compatible with my MacBook Pro. So, it's time to either crossgrade up to ProTools 11 for $400, or perhaps make the jump to Logic Pro X for half the price. Here are some things to consider:

1. The majority of the usage is going to be for tracking only, as well as some light home demo work. I'm not looking to mix a world-class recording with this setup...I will leave that to the experts. Yes, I'll do some modest mixing for demos, but...

2. I AM planning on sending the tracks I record with the band out to a ProTools-based studio for mixing, so being able to output/share tracks is needed.

3. I'd like to get as much bang for my buck as I can...so the included plug-ins will be part of the decision process.

Thanks in advance!

Hey.
If you need to send out sessions with automation and effects then go ProTools. It's really the only way

For straight tracking and simple mixing, definitely try Reaper!
You can try it out for free. See how it goes. :)

I was wondering when someone would say "Reaper"....seems to be the only thing people suggest around here. :D ;)

Really though, if you only need something "for tracking"....I think the bigger consideration will be the interface(s), and your computer.
So most any DAW would/should cover that basic tracking requirement, though it will really come down to the actual tracking process of the DAW....like how easy/quickly a given DAW lets you do multiple takes/punches, etc...and how comfortable the UI is to you.

Not sure why included plugs would be a decision maker....if you're going to send the tracks out to be mixed/mastered...?

Back