Couple of Pro Tools Questions

studiomaster

I just got Protools M-powered...umm..im having trouble recording..whenever i record enable a track and press play to record, the whole program just freezes. and then i have to totally restart the program.

my second question is that, i want to use pro tools to sequence my instruments and vocals together. how do i use my VST's? like i got the waves bundle..how can i use this so Pro tools can use them? and also, vst instruments...how can i make pro tools use them?

Update: It records..but it freezes for a while and then it starts recording. dont know why..maybe u guys can tell me..

One thing..whenever i start up pro tools, this message pops up: Pro Tools has detected a driver install error. Pro Tools will continue to launch but maybe be slow to begin recording.

Have you updated your drivers? That should solve most of your problems.

As for it being slow, here are a few things to check-

Make sure you don't have any other applications running besides Pro Tools, especially virus protection software.

Check your CPU usage limit, under Setups > Playback Engine. Try raising it up a lot if it is only at like 45% or so.

Check your hardware buffer size under the playback engine screen.

As for the VST's, Pro Tools M-Powered runs RTAS and Audiosuite plugins only. However if you get a VST to RTAS wrapper, you can use the VSTs in Pro Tools.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--FXPVSTRTAS

Update to the newest version of PT if you haven't already, get the service pack updates...they're on Digi's site.

VST's will require a VST Wrapper (made by FXpansion, about $75)...Wave's should be in a RTAS version too.

If they are in VST format, no. As I said before, you can run them with the wrapper or get the RTAS versions.

studiomaster said:
But isnt there any alternative way of running them in RTAS versions?
sorry..im a complete newbie at pro tools.

yes.....by purchasing the VST-RTAS wrapper from FXpansion, like they stated above.
it's $70-80, if you "bought" the Waves bundle, I'm sure you can afford the VST wrapper.

Waves comes in all formats. It should run as RTAS if you reinstall it. If you don't have pro tools (the only program that runs RTAS plugs) installed, waves doesn't bother installing the RTAS versions. Reinstall and you'll have them.

Hmmm...P4, eh?

I haven't dealt with PC's for a while, but I recall that Hyperthreading and Pro Tools did NOT work together and HT had to be disabled. Not sure if that's still the case.

Anyway, that's what comes to mind for me. Good luck!
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
I haven't dealt with PC's for a while, but I recall that Hyperthreading and Pro Tools did NOT work together and HT had to be disabled. Not sure if that's still the case.

It's been fixed, works fine now

-jeffrey

Does anyone else see the irony in "Studio Master" seeking assistance?

Not a poke at the poster directly, more of a "teehee"

P.S. I amuse easily. :D

Back