Correct connections

grahammk1

PC win7 32/Ableton/EMU 0404 PCI 2 IN, 2 OUT/Behringer Eurorack UB1832FX-PRO DESK/Hi-Fi Amp with 2 x vintage Celestion Speakers.

Can someone please tell me the best way to make connections that will give me a return from the EMU 0404 to the desk, and will allow me to fade the monitor mix and only hear the pre-recorded tracks in the headphones?

hope that makes sense?

thank you
Graham

I've not used your equipment but here's how I'd hook it up. I'd dedicate two of the channels of your mixer as the "front end" of the inputs of the computer. I'd patch from the INSERTS on those two channels to the computer input. When you patch at the INSERTS, plug your 1/4" cable in to the first "click". This will tap off signal from that channel only and send it to the computer. You can also modify a stereo type 1/4" connector so you can fully seat the connector. I'd return the computer output to two more channels on the mixer to monitor back what's been prerecorded. The main outputs of the mixer would go to your monitoring system.

Re: Connections. Ok, tried the Track Rat suggestions, but I couldnt get anything out of the Inserts, even at half-click setting, so.............after many hours of trials, this seems to work:
Main Outs to Sound Card (for recording);
Sub Outs to Amp (for monitoring);
Headphones FROM Aux Out (separate bus lets me fade main monitor but keep headphone volume);
Sound Card RETURN to 2 x spare inputs on desk.
Thanks again.

.................incidentally, there is a separate Monitor bus, but it seems to be mono.

Not sure why you can't get signal off of your inserts. This is a tried and true best practice as far as getting the cleanest possible signal from a mixer. The problem I see with the config you have is you'd be rerecording the signal from your computer right back in (returning to two channels of the mixer and recording the main outputs).
If I were you, I'd make a pair of cables to go from the inserts to the computer input. An unbalanced cable with TS on the computer side and TRS with the Pin and Ring soldered together and the center conductor of the cable soldered to that (the Pin and Ring). This should allow you to fully seat the TRS connector in the Insert port and tap off signal.

Back