Core 2 vs CPort and others

et MA

Great BB - I'm gonna get fired if I don't stay outta here! ;-)

Looking to upgrade from generic PC soundcard - I usually do the one man band thing w/midi drums, bass, keys and add analog guitar vocs and tpt - my synth is an Alesis with an ADAT digital optical interface , so the ADAT optical inputs on the Core 2 are attractive, I think, but I don't see any XLR inputs, nor mention of 48V phantom mic-preamping as I plan on buying a C1.

1) Will the Cport be a better fit with the mic preamps? Currently I use a marginal Samick mixer w/phantom, but I think its 24V max so I will need a pre amp when I get the C1.
2) Am I right about the Core 2 inputs?(no pre amp, phantom)
3) Do the ADAT inputs on the core 2 mean I can record audio info to the PC directly? Now, I connect kybd thru midi serial port to PC and let Logic control it, but when I mix down, I have to connect the keyboard analog outs to the mixer and mix it with the soundcard out to the soundcard in for my final mix. If the ADAT was audio info, I would be eliminating a potential noise source, no?
4) Or - are there any more options for < $400?

thanks alot - again this bb is unreal

You are correct. Core 2 has no preamp or phantom power. The Core 2 has a toslink and I have used it to bounce tracks from adats and other 8-track recorders.

The Core 2 has no midi capabilities...you would need a seperate card or a machine that does midi from which you can record from...which probably is not the best option.

same

Well, my keyboard has a serial interface for midi i/o so that probably is not an issue.

So, if I went core 2 I would need a mic preamp/phantom power unit which I probably shouldn't skimp on with the C1 - so I'm lookin at another 200$ anyways right?

Re: same

et MA said:
Well, my keyboard has a serial interface for midi i/o so that probably is not an issue.

So, if I went core 2 I would need a mic preamp/phantom power unit which I probably shouldn't skimp on with the C1 - so I'm lookin at another 200$ anyways right?

Correct. The Behringer UltraGain pro is a pretty decent preamp and I think it clocks in at around $175 but dont hold me to that.

Hi, et Ma
The c-port may be a better fit for you.S/PDIF optical in/out,8X8 full duplex w/ 2 channels XLR with mic pres and phantom power, and 32 channels midi.
Tom

Thanks fer yer input(s)!

Will the pre-amp ckt on the Cport do the C1 justice?

Can I convert ADAT to S/PDIF?

cport :D

the cport has good preamps, not great(avalon) but they are good enough for a tlm103...so it will do fine for the C1 which is a great mic. there's no compairing a lexicon Core 2 and a Satudio Cport. and the quality...CPORT all the way. plus you can hook up 4 coprts at one time. now if its anything to do with price.the core 2 isn't made anymore and is 149, but you can get one off ebay for 80. the cport will run you $399 but at that price there isn't any card that can touch it.

The pres onboard the c-port are merely "prosumer"quality,as are the other components.Certainly the equivalent or better of most budget mic pres.
I went to the Alesis site and looked at their info about the ADAT optical connector,capable of transferring 8 tracks at a time.Unfortunately,the c-port S/PDIF inputs are merely stereo.
Here is a link to the c-port page with their technical specs.
http://www.staudio.com/products/staudio.html
Tom

Back