Cool ways to use SPDIF I/O on my Firepod? (Cheap SPDIF stuff?)

Obi-Wan zenabI

I've only used them once, as an input for my former band's guitar player's multi effects pedal. It was nice to have 10 inputs to record live. We had a lot of success in those sessions.

SPDIF seems to be a bit outdated now, so I'm sure there are some cool things out there that I could snap up on my nonexistent budget...

Ideas?

Spdif isn't outdated. You just don't see it as much because everything is going to an all-in-one solution, instead of a bunch of discreet pieces that need to be synced together.

Instead of an outboard pedal, you could just take a di of the guitar and apply an amp sim, for example.

That's also the reason why no one really talks about clocking issues anymore. It's because no one has a rack full of digital gear that all needs to be clocked to the same source at the same sample rate... That isn't how people work anymore.

I've only used them once, as an input for my former band's guitar player's multi effects pedal. It was nice to have 10 inputs to record live. We had a lot of success in those sessions.

SPDIF seems to be a bit outdated now, so I'm sure there are some cool things out there that I could snap up on my nonexistent budget...

Ideas?

+1 to what Fairview said.
You could get a very nice single or dual channel preamp. Something that blows the firepod channels away?
Not on a non-existent budget, but it's probably the most common/practical use of digital inputs.

Back