Converting Files

ShaneSelby

I originally recorded my tracks at 24/96 in Nuendo and now due to system limitations I want to convert the tracks down to either 24/48 or 24/44. Basically, the higher format is wiping out my CPU once I start editing and using plugins. I converted one song down to 24/44 and gained a lot of system headroom and there didn’t appear to be any problems. So my question: Is there and problems related to converting my original audio down that I should know about before I do it? Also, which would be better for me to convert too 24/48 or 24/44? I was told it should be 24/48 due to the divisibility of the two.

Thanks!

ShaneSelby said:
I was told it should be 24/48 due to the divisibility of the two.
That sounds like wichcraft to me.

24/44 is fine. I dare you to tell the difference between 24/44 and 24/48 with your bare ears.

The 24 is bits in a 'word' the second number is khz which is thousands of times per second. So 24/44 is a 24 bit word (sample image) 44 thousand times per second. I don't see how divisibility even comes into it.

He probably heard someone say that recording at 88.2kHz is better than 96kHz, because it is pretty easy to re-sample 88.2 to 44.1, just cut out every other sample.

I think you'll be fine at 24-bit/44.1kHz.

It really depends on the final destination. If ultimately the music is destined for CD, it is going to have get to 44.1 at some point. Therefore, why would you want to go from 96 to 48, and then from 48 to 44.1 when you're ready to burn? Doesn't make any sense.

Back