Controlling where programs install on Win - PC gurus please!

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I have Win 7 on a PC with an SSD C: drive and a standard 7200 RPM D: drive.

Obviously the OS in on the C: drive and this is the default install location for all programs unless changed.

Not all programs give you the option to specify the location of the install however... so my smaller C: drive is rapidly filling up with programs that could just as easily sit on the D: drive. This is NOT about whether they should be on the C: drive or the D: drive - I know what should go where.

Somewhere along there I did a registry "adjustment" that I thought would default installation to the D: drive where the option wasn't given by the install program, however all that seems to do is place all the shortcut references on the D: drive... ie. I end up with a shortcut that doesn't work, as the program is STILL being installed on the C: drive. I can always find the necessary .exe from the main menu, but can't get a shortcut to function, and it never has the correct icon, just a default Windows one.

And I can make the shortcut work by changing C: to D: via properties... but that still doesn't solve the core issue.. my rapidly filling C: drive!

I guess I could drag the entire program folder from one to the other, but I'm guessing that's just going to stuff up the registry entries...

Any clues?

Don't worry, I worked it out... at the expense of Windows Media Player and hopefully nothing else...

Not only do you have to adjust the registry, you have to adjust the SECRET 64 BIT REGISTRY as well - who even knew there was such a thing - not Microsoft ... how to piss your users off Microsoft... not to mention that trying to fix Windows Media Player involved a 300MB download that then wouldn't run.. knobs.:cursing:

Back