Controller : Behringer X32 / Producer / XTouch?

mactreouser

Hi,
I'm wishing to grab a Mixing Controller (what do you think about XTouch?).
In fact, I'm wondering whether an All-in-One device (like X32 or X32 Producer) is an good idea ?

Exciting to receive your comments !

Last edited:
A little of confusing,right ? Haha. So sorry.
Situation :
* I have had a Presonus Firepod, Zoom R24 and Behringer UFX1204 as audio interface.
* What I have on controller was Transport Control offered by R24 & UFX1204. In fact, I wish to have a motorized faders for mixing stage.
* So, instead of grab a controller , is that a good idea to have an All-in-One Digital Mixer like X32 or X32 Producer offer ? So that I could have more inputs while having a motorized faders system?

Hope this clear, haha. Your clarification is appreciated!?

I don't think the x32 has flying faders (faders driven by automation), it just has scene memory. But I could be wrong, I had one when they first came out and haven't used one for a few years.

Oh... So it's not an good idea to grab X32 or X32 Producer for Studio work? Eventhough XTouch (just for mixing controller)?

oops, never mind. My info is out of date. Apparently they did get the software together to use the X-32 as a control surface.

The x-touch is just a control surface, without the stand-alone mixing capabilities.

I would say keep things separate. An all-in-one is NOT a good idea. .. especially a BERRY.
A berry control surface may well be perfect forever.. but HOPEFULLY you eventually want something better sounding from a preamp perspective eventually. Then you find yourself having to get a new control surface too!

Keep your existing inputs.
Add a midi controller. X-touch is fine.

Upgrade inputs and converters as needed.

/out before berry fanboys :)

I would say keep things separate. An all-in-one is NOT a good idea. .. especially a BERRY.
A berry control surface may well be perfect forever.. but HOPEFULLY you eventually want something better sounding from a preamp perspective eventually. Then you find yourself having to get a new control surface too!

Keep your existing inputs.
Add a midi controller. X-touch is fine.

Upgrade inputs and converters as needed.

/out before berry fanboys :)

You do know that the X-32 is the same board as the Midas M-32, don't you? Yes, the Midas does have better preamps, but the X-32 has the mid-line Midas preamps in it, which aren't bad.

The whole 'Behringer = garbage' thing is an outdated concept.

Hey Farview, you earned my support! Behringer no long that Cheap Guy in those old time. Haha.

Btw, what is your suggestions over my struggle?

If you actually need a mixer, get the X-32. If you need a control surface, get a control surface.

I did use the x-32 as an interface for a couple months. It worked fine.

There are several videos on YouTube showing you what they can do and how to do it.

Like I said, I was working with the original version 4-5 years ago. The capabilities may have changed, and I don't have any details about things I never tried with the board.

I bought and used the board to install in a theater we were rehabbing. After the initial run of the musical we wrote, we had a disagreement with the theater owner and decided to pull out. That is when I decided to close my studio and pull out of Illinois. While I was selling off the studio equipment, I ended up using the x32 as a mixer/interface for about a month before closing the studio for good.

I am by no means an expert on everything it can do now. But it took me 30 seconds of googling to answer the flying faders/control surface question. I'm sure if you put 5 minutes into it, you could find out what it will do and how to do it.

The X-32 is probably the best digital/automated board at anywhere near the price on the market. To show what they are like, I believe that 2mths before the desk was released Behringer already had 22K of fully paid orders --- why many other desks even sell that many units in their lifetime ?????

Quality wise with Midas and Klark Tecnik (?spelling) effects, EQ, etc you are looking at a top flight desk.

BUT, remember that the desk was manufactured/designed as a FOH desk and not a recording desk, so even though I think it has 24 outputs (ADAT), it might not have recording desk automation, but only full desk snapshots and for recording purposes you would require time coded automation. Definitely check this out if a requirement.

If you go to either the Behringer web site or Youtube, I am sure that there a number of very informative videos describing all the desk's features.

I have not personally use one but from talking to people who have, they all say that it is a winner and very much long gone are the old days of Behringer !!!

Hope this helps a bit.

David

Well, I have one, and am considering another. The stupid thing here is we're losing track of the original purpose of the topic. I've been looking at something to control Cubase - I'm a Cubase veteran since 1994, and won't consider anything else now, having got it in my head.

The thing is quite simple - the only moving fader control surfaces that are available and do the job properly cost more than an X32! If I use my 32 in the studio, it becomes the heart of the studio - it has more ins and outs than my Tascam interface, and while it doesn't have enough mic gain for distant miking of quiet sources, all the things I do - vocals, keys, drums and guitar, bass, sax are done perfectly well - so it's USB out to the computer and everything I want to do gets done. I've yet to complete the system because at the moment, the operation is still a bit clunky - using Cubase's remote function. The cubase mix screen appears on the x32 centre fader panel, and you can shift the 8 channels to cover all the channels in your cubase mix - the labels, meters and mute/solos all work fine, but as yet I have not managed to get them on the channel faders on the left, which isn't really a problem, because normally they are your inputs anyway. It uses the interface originally designed by Mackie.

So all the parameters do go in and out via MIDI. I'm considering just buying a new X32 to use in the studio permanently, as whenever the other one is out, I have loads of rewatching to do and it's a pain.

Back