Control surface and keyboard question

NashBackslash

Hey guys, I need some help on using a control surface AND a MIDI keyboard at the same time.

I'm not very well-versed with MIDI so I hope any of your experts can help me out on this. :)

First things first, the equipment:

Behringer BCF2000 control surface
MOTU 828 MKII
Casio MIDI keyboard
Cakewalk Sonar 5 Pro

I have my control surface connected through the MOTU's MIDI in and out ports.

Now before this, I would create my MIDI tracks by placing the notes using my mouse. Recently, I've acquired a MIDI keyboard which will make the job hell of a lot easier.

The thing is, I am not sure how to make the connections so that I can use BOTH the control surface and the MIDI keyboard at the same time.

What should I do? Thanks!

- Nash

does the keyboard have usb? use that if it does. Midi control surfaces usually like to have a whole midi port to themselves

You could connect the Behinger using the USB connection and then connect the Keyboard's MIDI out to the Behri's MIDI in. I would imagine that when you install it as a USB device, it will show up as two MIDI inputs: 1. the actual control surface functions streaming through the USB port, 2. whatever comes in via the MIDI in on the back of the control surface. Try that and see if that will work, you will just need to make sure in sonar to select both the Behringer Midi in's under midi options.

altitude909 - Yeah, that was the problem I was facing. Whenever I hit a key on the keyboard, it would do some weird stuff to the control surface (faders move, banks change, etc).

My keyboard doesn't have a USB port, BUT the Behringer control surface does. I just gotta find that pesky cable. :/

FYI: the keyboard I'm using isn't a true MIDI keyboard per se... see, it's one of those cheap "play along" keyboards with the light-emitting keys that belong to my mother. She wanted to get rid of it, but then I noticed that the thing had MIDI ports so I decided to use the thing. It's not much but it really helps me a lot during my song-writing sessions...

So there's no other way to do it, other than to use two separate MIDI ports, huh?

cawhite12 - thanks for the tip, will give that a try and post the results here. =)

EDIT: Well it looks like the Behringer's USB cable is missing. It's 12 midnight now so I can only go out and get a replacement cable later when the shops are open. This sucks. :/

Last edited:
Back