Control Panel\Hardware Sound: USB Audio Codec, or, RealTek (High Definition Audio?

S

solomonbks

Hello all!

I have one of the early Multimix8USB mixers from Alesis, (not the 2.0). The sound card (if you want to call it that) is a RealTek (High definition Audio).

The DAW is the latest version of Reaper. PC is HP with Dual Core Intel @ 1.86Ghz running Windows Vista Home Premium (ummmmm:) 4gigs of ram with plenty of free space on hard-drive.

In the Alesis manual it says that I should set the 'default sound and recording playback devices to "USB Audio Codec'. This eliminates the ASIO4ALL drivers that I have installed for the RealTek.

Which set-up is going to work?

G.

In most DAW's, you can't use two different interfaces at the same time and I'm pretty sure Reaper is one of them. So, you can't use your Realtek sound card and your Alesis together when recording. Pick one that you want to use. For recording, it should be the Alesis, not the sound card.

hth,

Thanks IP for the post, Are there any other things you can tell me about the set-up once I do that? I've read that my options as far as being able to record mutiple tracks etc,. will be limited?

G.

Thanks IP for the post, Are there any other things you can tell me about the set-up once I do that? I've read that my options as far as being able to record mutiple tracks etc,. will be limited?

G.

For recording multi-tracks, the number of inputs on your interface limits how many tracks you can record at the same time. However, if you're like most home recordists, you're probably doing this by yourself and really only need 2 channels... unless you're recording a drum set, then minimum inouts should be 4.

The room you're recording in will probably have more of an impact on your quality than the interface you use. Again, like most home recordists, you most likely have one room to do everything in, so you have to make compromises between making a good live room or a good mixing room. I always suggest make it more for mixing. Control reverb, nodes, flutter, etc.... there's a lot to learn. Everything you learn will make your recordings that much better.

Read as much as you can before spending money.

...and have fun.

Back