Contemplating audio interface upgrade -- need your advice!

Seanzilla42

Okay, so here's the deal -- I'm wanting to upgrade my current system to something that's better than what I'm currently using, and would appreciate your feedback very much. I've been a MIDI developer for years (in the past), but have decided to get back into doing more of it. Lately, I've just been noodling around on my keyboards, guitars, and such. The problem is, that the interface stuff that I'm using isn't quite doing the job that I want it to, and I believe I can obtain better sound and control with something of a higher quality caliber.

Current system: Behringer Xenyx 2442FX mixing board // Behringer UCA-200 USB interface (plugs into mixing board's CD/TAPE input/output via RCA) // M-Audio Uno USB MIDI interface // Cakewalk Sonar Professional 8 // Customized HP computer with Intel Core 2 Quad - 3.0 USB (aftermarket PCI card) and Firewire (native to MB).

The benefit of the current system (Behringer UCA-202), is that it allows me to use the metronome during recording, but doesn't actually RECORD the clicks. However, I'm not too satisfied with the overall quality of the sound (it's fairly decent), but I think it could be better.

I've looked at Focusrite, M-Audio, Tascam, Presonus, and the like. But...where to begin? I don't really need to record multi-tracks and instruments, and a stereo out (RECORD) would be fine. I just need to make sure I can connect my keyboards and Synths (Korg Triton Pro Extreme, Roland SC-880, Roland A-33) through the new unit, while at the same time being able to record the sound output via the mixer.

I'm willing to buy used or new, based on the suggestions, but my cap is at about $300. I've looked recently at the Focusrite Sapphire 6 USB unit, and I think it might work. However, my other dilemma is how to hook it up in a way that would allow it to work in the way the Behringer UCA-200 interface does (click tracks, etc.). How would I plug in the new unit into my mixing board without using the RCA CD/TAPE ports on top? Would I go direct out of the board's "MAIN OUTPUT" ports? What would I use as the "INPUT" ports for the L/R signals? Yeah...I'm a mess. :(

Thanks in advance for any help. I certainly do appreciate your expertise and suggestions!

Why are you using the mixer at all - just so you don't have to change input cables every time you change instruments?

Main output of the mixer to the line inputs of the audio interface. Line outs of the interface to your monitors. It doesn't sound like you understand the metronome feature of your DAW.

What is the maximum number of inputs you would want to track simultaneously (at same time)? This will narrow down the choices for a new interface.

I use the mixer for all the other instruments that I play - Bass, guitar, electronic drums, etc. So, yes, I suppose it is solely so I don't have to change the input cables. I was figuring on using the MAIN OUTPUT to the LINE INPUT of the audio interface. LINE OUT to MONITORS (yes). You may be correct that I don't know the metronome feature quite that well. You see, I'm used to JUST creating MIDI files. That was easy. But now, I'm working on creating the MIDI files to play along with simultaneously to record. I'm intending to just layer the tracks as I go; playing each instrument independently. I'm also using the DAW (cakewalk) to use as a stand-alone metronome (click track) to record keyboard parts (non-MIDI), but don't want to have the "click" in the recording. I can do that with the current setup, but not sure how to achieve it with a different external device. Does this make any sense? Sorry, but I'm still relatively new at this sort of thing.

The click track is in Cakewalk. Your audio interface - using the 'mix' control, whether it is hardware or software - will let you hear the click in your monitors or headphones. On the input side, whatever you are recording (audio or MIDI) will go through the interface to the armed track(s).
I'm guessing you were feeding the click into your mixer before, which was then going back into the DAW along with the instruments.

On my current mixer, I would listen to the click track by plugging my headphones into the "PHONES" jack while doing recording. So...I see what you're saying now -- Use the audio interface's own headphone output jack to do the listening to and mixing with the control between the two. Gotcha! Thanks! That makes sense.

SO...as far as the units go... any recommendations for the task? Do you think the sapphire 6 unit would work well? Any others?

The Sapphire is an older model - if you can get a used one at a good price, go for it - consider the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Steinberg UR22, Presonus Audiobox 22VSL, Roland Duocapture as other possible interfaces.

Mike B -- thanks for your advice and time! Looked at all of the ones you listed, and some of the user reviews as well. Almost opted for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, but ended up getting an incredible deal on an Roland/Edilrol UA-1000. Yeah, it's definitely older, but has an expandability that I might need in the future. Also has the USB 2.0 (not 1.1 as older models had). At $100 (w/shipping) on Ebay, it was hard not to at least try it out. Money-back guarantee if I don't like it though. Looks like it will do what I need it to do, but also work if I decide to have some other musicians playing along as well. We'll see.

The gizmo you need is called "Direct Hardware Monitoring" and this lets you listen to a mix of what you're recording and what's coming off the computer. That lets you record a clean track while listening to a mix of the metronome and what you're recording. Any decent interface should have this. Ideally you'll find one that has a knob to mix the input and output rather than just switching it.

Sweetwater have the M Audio M Track for $99 just now and I can vouch for the way it works. Two tracks, the monitoring you need and MIDI.

There are lots of others that will work as well...I just happen to know this one.

Thanks to everyone for the contributions!

I found an Edirol UA-1000 that was in MINT condition on Ebay for $85. Although it will do up to 8 channels (I only need 2), I thought it would likely work for my needs. Not to mention, expandable if needed. Unit is working VERY well with my current system!

All the best!

Back