Considering going with iPad 2 for recording. Have questions.

Rickson Gracie

Considering getting an iPad 2 for recording. Have questions...
First off I'm big into analog. It's almost like a religion to me lol but I was messing with gigdady on my iPhone 4 and was pretty impressed with the results using the built in mic no less.

If I get the iPad 2 I plan on getting the Alesis studio dock when it's released as well. I have some nice outboard gear such as UA LA 610 mic pre, Sebetron tube pres, blue blueberry mic. Etc I even have a new Oram/trident 8 channel mixing board. I'm trying to think of the best ways to incorporate this outboard gear with the ipad2 and studiodock. I even have an apogee Rosetta 800.

Can anyone give me some good ideas of how to implement all this gear with the ipad2?

My current main recording space is in a low ceiling basement and recording on my iPhone with built in mic in my high ceiling living room had almost better results lol

I am a former PT LE user. I am pretty comfortable using pro tools and can edit pretty well. What will the drawbacks of GarageBand be? Is there better editing apps closer to PT? Can you use Plugins like you could in PT? I understand u can only record 8 audio tracks. Does that include the GarageBand keyboards too?

THANKS

Look into peavey amp kit. It's a piece of hardware that allows input and output simultaneously without having to use the mic. There is also irig. But as far as I know there aren't too many other things like it. Then you'd just need to figure out to run your gear into a 1/4" stereo jack. In my opinion it's essential for recording on iPhone or iPad. Peavey amp kit is better as it takes battery so it boosts your input signal a bit.
It's made for apps like ampkit+ and amplitube but the way I see it It would work for anything. I used the four track in amplitube and am impressed by the tone and the recording.

Peace

It would be interesting to watch a whole album recorded entirely/almost entirely using garageband or some other tablet programs.

Back