Connection Question

fenderguy4life

So I have changed my setup. I'm now running an audio interface into an old six channel YamahaEM-150 using tps cables (I think that's what they're called they're phono jack plugs) from the back of the audio interface (left and right) into the front inputs on my Yamaha EM-150 mixer/amp, then to PA speakers. I have the balance adjusted right and left on that. Kind of unorthodox I know, I just don't have any powered speakers anymore. So the question is this, on the mixer/amp inputs there's a selector switch for Mic, Inst, and Line. What typically is the output off the back of an audio interface (in this case it's a Roland Duo-Capture EX) to powered speakers? Is it a line signal? That's what I assumed and have been using it that way. I'm afraid to try the other two. Sorry for my ignorance. I just wanna get the best signal possible with my equipment and avoid any damaging consequences.
:D

The output level for your interface is listed as -6dBu which is probably the same as consumer line level -10dBV. It's lower than pro line level, +4dBu, but higher than instrument level which varies a bit. Given the age of the mixer the line input could be for +4 or -10 signal. Try it. If there isn't enough gain try instrument level.

But that's a mono mixer. Everything you run through it will be mono in your speakers. And it's old and probably not accurate enough for monitoring.

-6dBu is 387mV which is -8.3dBV, consumer level close enough!

But PA speakers for monitoring??? I know there are some very good, very expensive K&H PA speakers that would stand in for monitors but not your bog standard Dog&Duck shouters.
You would be better off for now IMHO with some decent headphones, 20quid Sennheisers are very acceptable. Meantime save for some proper, active monitors to go with what is a very well regarded AI in the Roland. The latest "budget" Adam F5's readup good.

Dave

Okay. Good to know there are some technical people in here. I am not one of them (yet).
Here are the specs I found for the Yamaha EM-150 PA/Mixer

6 INPUT TERMINALS - these are front side with knobs for volume, bass, treble, reverb and balance. Phono plug connections.
Line: -26.5dBm (0.04Vrms) Impedance 50k Ohms
Inst: -32.5dBm (0.02Vrms) Impedance 50k Ohms
Mic: -51.5dBm (2mVrms) Impedance 10k Ohms

I also have this input on the back:
Aux: -20.5dBm (0.07Vrms) RCA connection Impedance 50k Ohms
It's RCA so if this is a better route I'll have to get a pair of phono to RCA cables. I guess... The reason for using this setup is purely economics. I have a pair of CAD MH110 for monitoring. I use the PA speakers for general listening and for when my ears get warm.
:D

Use the AUX inputs.

At -20dBu they are still a bit too sensitive and the AI could overload them and t'were me I would make up an attenuator of ~10dB for each channel.

But you will probably get away with it, just keep the level controls at minimum and advance slowly.

Dave.

Hmm. Okay. Thank you. My skill set is not up to making an attenuator yet. I'll Look into getting phono to RCA cables until I can afford some powered speaks. I did have a pair of KRKs but had to take them back due to finances. I noticed when I used to run my cell phone through that AUX port the amp would run hot. Was using an Sony/Android smartphone. It's running cool now with my current setup and everything seems to work so far. I'll do some more testing and fiddling in the meantime lol. Thanks for all the help. Great bunch here it appears!

Use the AUX inputs.

At -20dBu they are still a bit too sensitive and the AI could overload them and t'were me I would make up an attenuator of ~10dB for each channel.

But you will probably get away with it, just keep the level controls at minimum and advance slowly.

Dave.

Line: -26.5dBm (0.04Vrms) Impedance 50k Ohms
Inst: -32.5dBm (0.02Vrms) Impedance 50k Ohms
Mic: -51.5dBm (2mVrms) Impedance 10k Ohms
Aux: -20.5dBm (0.07Vrms) RCA connection Impedance 50k Ohms

I wonder if the Line/Inst/Mic input numbers are with the channel volume all the way up. Perhaps the line input would be fine with the line output.

And I was wrong, it is a stereo mixer, but with the "balance" at the top of the strip rather than a "pan" just above a fader as is now pretty standard.

I wonder if the Line/Inst/Mic input numbers are with the channel volume all the way up. Perhaps the line input would be fine with the line output.

And I was wrong, it is a stereo mixer, but with the "balance" at the top of the strip rather than a "pan" just above a fader as is now pretty standard.

My thought too BSG, that those were max sensitivity figures.
I have found the user manual but information is spares and it seems to be a bad scan of a scan! Cannot make out any details of the chassis and there is no signal routing/level diagram.

Dave.

As I mentioned above somewhere, I used to have an EM150. It served as a PA for the band I was in from the mid seventies and worked well for many years, even after then band had come to an end. It finally died a few years back when the output transistors failed and I couldn't be bothered getting it fixed.

On band jobs we had a tape deck connected to the aux in, and that worked well.

Sometime later, my son took it over for school discos and stuff like that, and played tapes through the channels with the settings set to line. Again, no problems.

So, if you want to use it, plug into two channels, pan them left and right respectively, set them for line level, then go for it. Nothing bad is going to happen. If something band does happen, though, it will have something to do with its age, rather than how you are using it.

As I mentioned above somewhere, I used to have an EM150. It served as a PA for the band I was in from the mid seventies and worked well for many years, even after then band had come to an end. It finally died a few years back when the output transistors failed and I couldn't be bothered getting it fixed.

On band jobs we had a tape deck connected to the aux in, and that worked well.

Sometime later, my son took it over for school discos and stuff like that, and played tapes through the channels with the settings set to line. Again, no problems.

So, if you want to use it, plug into two channels, pan them left and right respectively, set them for line level, then go for it. Nothing bad is going to happen. If something band does happen, though, it will have something to do with its age, rather than how you are using it.
This is exactly how I am using it. Thanks everybody. :thumbs up:

UPDATE
Got myself some powered monitors. Ones I could afford for now. The mixer is out of the mix. The monitors are soooooo much better than the PA speakers. I had to do what I had to do before and it satisfied me for the time being. Whatever works. I gotta keep on playing and recording.

Back