Connecting up my Sub Woofer

Okay. I might help.

You say it only has an RCA in but not any outs? There is only one solution I know of to that.

You need this. Switchcraft SC600 | Sweetwater.com

Go from the outs of the interface to one of the Stereo ins of the box. Then go from the left and right TRS jacks to the ins of your monitors and the left and right RCA jacks to the ins of your subwoofer.

Thanks,
That makes sense.
Is there only that one model?
What is the generic name for it?

And for the sub would I need an RCA to RCA cable?

I'm pretty sure that's the only model that would allow you to do what you want to do. It's called an adapter box.

Yep. and RCA to RCA cable. Is there only one input on the sub? Or left and right?

Theres ins for left and right, for an RCA connection.
Then theres also connect for speaker wire, but that probably no use.

So there's no way to directly connect it to the interface?
Do you know if there are any cheap ones I could buy in the UK?

Not unless there's an output from the sub. Sorry man. I actually think it's great though! Even with the price. Better than dishing out $400 for a sub with outputs.

I was wondering how I would connect up my subwoofer to my interface to use it as part of my studio setup.
I have this exact one: http://www.hifix.co.uk/graphics/pics/large/102645.jpg

Hooking up a sub in parallel to your main speakers isn't a good idea sonically. It won't cause damage but the sound won't be right. You need to take the low frequencies out of the main speakers and the high frequencies out of the subs. Otherwise the overlap causes problems with the sound. A crossover is the right tool for the job. The sub may have a crossover built in but without knowing more about the sub it's difficult to determine if that's the case. The picture doesn't say anything useful. What is the make and model of the sub?

[Edit] I was able to search the image address and get the model: MORDAUNT SHORT PREMIER MS308W SUBWOOFER.

It mentions a crossover in the specs but doesn't say that it actually has a high-pass output. Can you tell us exactly what connectors it has on the back, including how they are marked?

Okay,
On the back there is a 'Line in' port for the red and white RCA connection.
And then speaker wire connections in and out. (High level in and outs)
That's all.

Okay,
On the back there is a 'Line in' port for the red and white RCA connection.
And then speaker wire connections in and out. (High level in and outs)
That's all.

You will need a crossover (or preamp with crossover) to use that sub with your powered monitors. If you had passive speakers and an amp you could use the speaker level input/output. It doesn't seem like a very good match for your monitoring setup.

Back