connecting multiple instruments

curiousgeorge

Hi guys

is it possible for me to connect multiple instruments for both recording at home and live performance i need to have them connected all the time so that im not plugging and unplugging all the time.
Thanks in advance

How many instruments/ what are they? How many individual tracks do you want to be able to record at one time?

Lots of people just use a cheap mixer as a routing device. Plug the various instruments in, feed the output to your interface, and use the mixer to fade up whatever you want to record.

Yeah, that's not big deal if you just want to record 1 track at a time - however make sure any mixer you get has at least 3 'instrument' inputs - regular line-in or mic preamps won't be able to boost the electric guitar signal up to a useable level unless you are using active pickups.
Cheapest alternative (I use one for live work, and it works!): DOD resistance mixer. You can then feed this signal to the instrument-in of an audio interface, or to your amp. Note that it is mono only.
ll

Or, to expand your choice of mixers, just get 3 DI boxes. (Must admit I didn't think to mention that because I always use DIs--never owned a mixer with an "instrument" input--but then I'm usually mixing from 50 feet to many times that from the stage.)

Back