Connecting DJmixer to Computer Problems!!!!!

mcchase

I don't know if anyone can help, but i am having problems hooking up my dj mixer to my computer and getting it to record. I have tried two methods:
1. I hooked up the output of the mixer using the rca adapter to the mic input on the sound card. Then i used Diamond Cut's cd recording software. But the sound that comes in is way too loud and distorted. I have tried to lower the input level on my computer, but there is still an annoying buzzing noise. I have talked to several other dj's who have done this before and they said to use the line port.
2. When i plug the adapter from the mixer to the line port, the music goes through my computer and can be heard on my computer speakers, but the software doesn't record it. The quality of the music is great coming through the speakers. I tried to change the settings on my sound card (Aureal Vortex AU8830), but i can't get the software to pick up the signal. I tried using the cool edit 2000 demo software, but that doesn't work either.
Do I have any other options other than getting a new sound card?....this one works great for games, and i'd hate to get rid of it. I don't need a digital input since my mixer is analog, right now i would like the cheapest alternative to get this to work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
mike

Have you verified that everything on the computer is using the Line Input of your soundcard? This includes Multimedia Properties in Control Panel. Check it out then post again.

Ed

make sure that the line input check box is checked in the playback AND recording properties section of the multimedia properties control panel.. you can access this by double clicking the lil speaker icon down by the clock , then going to options then properties..

dont get all flustered..its not that difficult once you figure it out..

- eddie -

Also, some soundcards like the soundblaster live let's you choose your recording mode. ex. mic, AudioCD, Line in, wave, etc. Are you sure that the recording mode on YOUR soundcard is set to "LINE IN"? Cause if it was set to something else like "mic" or whatever, your recordings won't pick up ANYTHING from the Line in. Try looking in on that with your soundcard's program...peace.

ok, i figured it out.....I'm such an idiot! I was trying to adjust the output control, not the input recording control. I just had to switch it over from mic to line in the recording mixer. I never knew there was an entirely different mixer for selecting the recording. Cool, i'm off to record some mixes. Thanks for all your help: sonusman, Eddie N, and scapegoat! I'll be sure to stop in if i have any more problems.
mike

Back