Connecting audio interface

Roadkill

Ok here is my plan Purchased a Presonus firewire interface and Protools 12. My problem is the firewire connection. My gateway all in one computer only has USB ports and the interface is 6 pin firewire. So I need some options, can I use some kind of adapter on my gateway, trhe other option is possibly buying an Apple Mac but there adapter is a 9 pin which also looks to be a problem, any suggestions to making this all work.

Ok here is my plan Purchased a Presonus firewire interface and Protools 12. My problem is the firewire connection. My gateway all in one computer only has USB ports and the interface is 6 pin firewire. So I need some options, can I use some kind of adapter on my gateway, trhe other option is possibly buying an Apple Mac but there adapter is a 9 pin which also looks to be a problem, any suggestions to making this all work.

Post exactly what model you have man. :)

It's the Presonus FireStudio Project interface.

Naw man, the computer that doesn't have firewire. If the computer has a slot that you can get a firewire card for then not an issue. Though not sure myself that I wouldn't go with a USB interface.

Jimmy is right, without the computer model, hard to say.

Just for information, another name for Firewire is IEEE 1394. Sometimes older computers have this but on the PC side they use the name IEEE 1394.

Naw man, the computer that doesn't have firewire. If the computer has a slot that you can get a firewire card for then not an issue. Though not sure myself that I wouldn't go with a USB interface.

what about a firewire to USB adapter or hub? would that do the conversion?

Nope. Well not efficiently. USB to Firewire conversion will not typically be suitable.

USB interfaces don't even like sharing with a simple mouse on the same controller sometimes. I suppose it depends on what one is throwing at it, but not good practice.

I'm not even sure that can be done as they're totally different protocols. No doubt some chinese 'adapter' exists, but ignore it.
As Jimmy says the best bet is to add a pci or Pci-e firewire card to your computer, or get a USB interface.
What is your computer model or, better yet, the motherboard model. CPU-Z will tell you.

Incidentally, any apple adapters are going to be thunderbolt to firewire. Thunderbolt is firewire compatible.

Because the two technologies are so different, you would probably get file transfers at best, not the interface capabilities you are hoping to get.

Because the two technologies are so different, you would probably get file transfers at best, not the interface capabilities you are hoping to get.

And likely slow at best for just file transfers. Anything that slows down real time audio when recording is the ultimate evil.

Step away from the adapter and forget you ever mentioned it....

:)

I've got a gateway model ZX6971 all in one desk top as of now, I decided on the firewire interface because I wanted the additional inputs (8 vs 2) and have read the transfer rates are better using firewire over USB. CPU Intel (R)PREMIUM (R) CPU G630@2.70GHz

Bummer. You heard wrong. At least in how it relates to audio. USB is just fine. I run 24 input tracks via one USB2.0 connection with no issues.

In researching for other purposes, I've found no such converter (USB to 1394 or vice versa) from any reputable source. As mentioned already, if the computer has an expansion slot, you can purchase a FireWire card to put in the computer. Otherwise, return the FireWire interface and pickup a USB interface. If you want to keep the interface, as for getting an Apple, unless you have cash to blow, just get a decent PC with an add in card for the FireWire. I use a Win 10 Pro x 64 bit with a Presonus FireWire interface connected via a FireWire add in card from Egghead. This has worked flawlessly for many years (the card, not Windows lol).

Best of luck!
-PC

Decided to upgrade my whole desktop computer, purchased an Apple I-Mac. It has the thunderbolt port and with the adapter plug and play, no issues.

Decided to upgrade my whole desktop computer, purchased an Apple I-Mac. It has the thunderbolt port and with the adapter plug and play, no issues.

Well, now Steeno is your only hope here. lol!

Us PC guys are clueless to your alien wares... :)

Back