viren55

hey, how u doing

i am new here. but not new to music.

I currently have:

Yamaha Ex5 synthesizer
Optimus SSM-1250 mixer
Yamaha xs250 amp
DM-6000 dynamic mic
2 computers running acid, soundforge, and midisoft studio.

My question is. I want to hookup the two computers and my ex5 synthesizer (which has midiA and midiB) all together. I want midisoft studio on 1 computer (master), and the other computer running acid (slave).

How do i hook this up. I have got all the cabling, don't worry about that. And if you could provide a diagram it would really help me see what you are trying to say.

thanks
viren55

see what i do is, i use acid for drums, and other loops that i make myself.

then i like to use my synth to do the background or main music with, but I find it really had to work with the sequencer in the synth. And i have been using an old midi sequencer in my computer for around 3 years, and i am really comfortable with. I tried doing a connection of acid, and midisoft studio into 1 computer but i doesn't work. I was using hubi's vitural midi connection. When i did this my computer would fight between would sound should be coming out of the speakers. And this resultes me in doing a 2 computer, and 1 synth hookup.

please help
viren55

Midi doesn't work with Y-type patching, it's simply a linear chain. Midi device 1 out to device 2 in, device 2 out to device 3 in, etc...

In a sequencing environment the sequencer becomes the master, and ALL other midi devices in the chain slave to it. You use midi channels to differentiate which device is going to handle which midi signal. (ie, device 1 only responds to midi channel 1, if device 2 is a drum machine, you set it so that it only responds to midi channel 10, etc...)

Hope this helps...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

So, how do you program your music?

I mean do you use the sequencer in your synth?? Don't you find it really shitty?

Its not graphical so there isn't much flexibilty.

What do you recommend i do??

thanks
viren55

Back when I was doing a lot of midi stuff, I used a couple of sequencer programs (Cakewalk, and also an inexpensive one called PowerTracks Pro) on my computer and it drove all the synths and drum machines.

In your case, I would do the same thing - run a sequencer on one of your computers; it becomes the midi signal master -- and slave all other midi devices off of that. The second computer is simply a slave just like any other device in the chain. Set each midi device in your chain to respond to a different channel (so you DON'T want to be using the OMNI setting for any midi channels). Chain the midi signal starting from the master, OUT to IN, thru all devices and returning from the last device back to the IN on the master (linear midi path).

PowerTracks Pro is a reasonable piece of sequencer software you can buy quite cheaply - makes a good starting point. (I think it also comes bundled with Band-In-A-Box, which allows you to build rhythm sections of different music styless fairly quickly.

Good Luck! :)

Bruce

Back