Connect keyboard to recorder using digital ins/outs

awyatt1

Hello. I have a Korg Kronos X keyboard and a Tascam Neo2488 recorder and would like to have a digital connection. The problem is, the Kronos has a Toslink output and only outputs at 48kHz. The Neo has a coax input and only accepts 44.1kHz. What is the best way to make the connection? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Searching online, I had found a couple of devices that would work for me but they were over $1000. It looks like the Behringer will do everything I need for a whole lot less. Exactly what I was looking for. Off to eBay to look for a used one. Thanks again.

Craig

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Searching online, I had found a couple of devices that would work for me but they were over $1000. It looks like the Behringer will do everything I need for a whole lot less. Exactly what I was looking for. Off to eBay to look for a used one. Thanks again.

Craig

You're welcome..Heh! "The Greeks had a word for it" seems Behringer almost always have a gizmo for it!

Dave.

Are the analog inputs an issue? I think you gain very little, if anything from the digital inputs. If it is just a matter of freeing up your analog inputs on your recorder, then it makes sense, but otherwise, seems your solving a problem you don't really have.

Are the analog inputs an issue? I think you gain very little, if anything from the digital inputs. If it is just a matter of freeing up your analog inputs on your recorder, then it makes sense, but otherwise, seems your solving a problem you don't really have.
Totally agree, tho' S/PDIF does get over any level difference problems.
Would it not be lovely if kit was EITHER neg ten OR +4dBu and not some bastard level in bloody between?!

Dave.

Totally agree, tho' S/PDIF does get over any level difference problems.
Would it not be lovely if kit was EITHER neg ten OR +4dBu and not some bastard level in bloody between?!

Dave.

Are you making fun of the Tascam 1800? ;)

Actually you shouldn't need it for this case as the output can be controlled with a volume knob. I could be missing something here, but my understanding that is one of the primary reasons for a line it. Usually they show a keyboard or something like that hooked up the line ins. If you have a volume control on the instrument, that should take care of any input issues.

Like I said, I may be the DA here.

I have no issues with using analog inputs. I posted a question on the Korg Kronos forum and had some tell me that they couldn't tell any difference in sound quality between analog/digital while others said they could tell a difference. Honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference, but I figured I'd give it a shot if I could find a cheap solution to the connection problem I was facing. I'll probably end up sticking with analog and using the digital input of the Tascam for my mic preamp. Or is there no appreciable improvement in sound quality hooking up the preamp that way, either? Should I just go with a totally analog setup? I'm just getting into home recording and am far from a professional, but I would still like to get the best sound I can out of the equipment that I have. I'm grateful for all the replies.

Craig

I'll probably end up sticking with analog and using the digital input of the Tascam for my mic preamp.

Now this makes sense. Really as it increases your capability and provides a possible good pre-amp option. If I were you, I would give this option further investigation.

Now this makes sense. Really as it increases your capability and provides a possible good pre-amp option. If I were you, I would give this option further investigation.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think this is the route I will take.

Craig

Back