The computer's role in sound quality in a home recording situation

twangbuck

So in terms of just looking at the computer side of things, forget the interface, the mics, the preamps, the sound quality of the room you're recording in and the sound treatment of that room. Just in terms of the computer (PC in my case), what role does it play in the actual sound quality of the audio you're working with? Both in the recording of that sound and then later in the processing, mixing and mastering? I know that faster processing time and a more powerful computer can help you record more tracks and use a lot of processing and effects without suffering through constant drop outs, etc etc. But just in terms of sound quality alone, what role does the computer play in that? And which part of the computer? If there was an upgrade that could be made to a PC just to improve sound quality, what would it be?

Hi there,
The computer, excluding all the things you listed, plays no part whatsoever in quality.

Any software that you use will be subject to better/worse debates but in terms of quality, no.

So in terms of just looking at the computer side of things, forget the interface, the mics, the preamps, the sound quality of the room you're recording in and the sound treatment of that room. Just in terms of the computer (PC in my case), what role does it play in the actual sound quality of the audio you're working with? Both in the recording of that sound and then later in the processing, mixing and mastering? I know that faster processing time and a more powerful computer can help you record more tracks and use a lot of processing and effects without suffering through constant drop outs, etc etc. But just in terms of sound quality alone, what role does the computer play in that? And which part of the computer? If there was an upgrade that could be made to a PC just to improve sound quality, what would it be?

Absolutely none. The computer merely is the host for the software and hardware. Once an external audio interface is introduced, the PC is out of the equation as far as the handling of audio. Well, when is it setup correctly.

You already understand what the power of the computer is needed for.

You're asking, if you think about it, the equivalent of this: "What part does the computer plays in the the quality of a novel?"

Get it?

Faster computer can run a higher bitrate/sample on more tracks with more VSTs applied.

A quiet computer (low/no cpu cooler fan noise) will make setup of the recording at bit simpler.

As for the ones and zeros, they're still just ones and zeros.

Faster computer can run a higher bitrate/sample on more tracks with more VSTs applied.

A quiet computer (low/no cpu cooler fan noise) will make setup of the recording at bit simpler.

As for the ones and zeros, they're still just ones and zeros.

Yep. Once you get past the interface, the only real role the computer plays is a soft limit on how many tracks you can record and playback, how many ancillary effects you can add, and your bit rate/depth.

Mmm...I'll go out on a limb here and say that maybe the computer's internal clock "could" have some impact on the sampling/digital jitter of the interface, assuming that the interface clocking is being handled internally by the CPU, and that its clock is not up to par...but I think it would have to be a pretty cheesy/bad computer to be of any real issue. :D

Mmm...I'll go out on a limb here and say that maybe the computer's internal clock "could" have some impact on the sampling/digital jitter of the interface, assuming that the interface clocking is being handled internally by the CPU, and that its clock is not up to par...but I think it would have to be a pretty cheesy/bad computer to be of any real issue. :D

Clock belongs at the A/d (or D/A :) ..done.

Back