computers

I would build my own.

At That price range, I would agree, you can get a lot of good quality hardware for that price. However, save enough for dual monitors about 300 pounds. I would also look at getting AMDs 6 core chip. Get a good MB as that will really play heavy on performance and stability.

On the HDs, I am a bigger fan of the 10,000 RPM drives more than SSD. I am sure there are counter points to that. You can still buy Win7, I suggest do not get the OEM version as that is tied to the CPU, which means, if you ever want to upgrade your chip, you be screwed (I am almost 100% it is tied to the chip's s/n).

I suggest do not get the OEM version as that is tied to the CPU, which means, if you ever want to upgrade your chip, you be screwed (I am almost 100% it is tied to the chip's s/n).

I believe it's tied to the motherboard. The first time you register, it links your Windows key to some data from the motherboard, so you can't then use that Windows key on another machine, unless you provide proof of hardware failure and replacement.

And I'd recommend a smallish SSD for OS & programs and maybe a 10,000RPM drive for data. 10,000 RPM drives are pretty expensive and a 7,200 RPM drive will most likely serve your needs adequately. Better to have 2 larger mechanical drives if you will use large sound libraries like Kontakt, etc. (one drive for projects, one for libraries)

Personally, I use a single SSD for OS, programs and audio projects (I back up over the network to a NAS) and a USB3 external mechanical drive for large sound libraries (Komplete) and it more than suffices. I agree on having plenty of RAM - 16GB is cheap enough and will be more than you'll need for years to come.

I believe it's tied to the motherboard. The first time you register, it links your Windows key to some data from the motherboard, so you can't then use that Windows key on another machine, unless you provide proof of hardware failure and replacement.

Seems you're right. I was guessing as I know a lot of CAD software ties to the CPU SN, just assumed the same here. There has to be some ID on the MB to tie the two together. And yes, I've heard MS isn't too strict if you call up for a reactivation for another MB (you can probably do it once easy, after that they make it harder).

More research shows it takes a an inventory of the following:

Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter
IDE Adapter
Network Adapter (including the MAC Address)
RAM Amount Range (e.g. 0-512 MB)
Processor Type and Serial Number
Hard Drive Device and Volume Serial Number
Optical Drive (e.g. CD-ROM)

Which makes sense since it is tying it to a system. Main point, understand the difference between OEM/Retail if you build yourself.

Last edited:
Seems you're right. I was guessing as I know a lot of CAD software ties to the CPU SN, just assumed the same here. There has to be some ID on the MB to tie the two together. And yes, I've heard MS isn't too strict if you call up for a reactivation for another MB (you can probably do it once easy, after that they make it harder).

More research shows it takes a an inventory of the following:

Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter
IDE Adapter
Network Adapter (including the MAC Address)
RAM Amount Range (e.g. 0-512 MB)
Processor Type and Serial Number
Hard Drive Device and Volume Serial Number
Optical Drive (e.g. CD-ROM)

Which makes sense since it is tying it to a system. Main point, understand the difference between OEM/Retail if you build yourself.

The other difference is support. If you build a machine with an OEM install, then you are the support point, otherwise Microsoft offer support (although to what extent, I do not know, probably a premium rate number).

I built one from parts I bought from Scan. It cost me about £700 about 3 years ago now. Even then, I got a graphics card, which isn't reall necessary.

Try these guys, read about them in Sound on Sound.

Alan.

I've bought 2 from Carillon, and can safely say I won't be buying from them again!

The first one was in 2007 and was an excellent machine - Quad Core Q6700, 2Gb RAM under Win XP32

But the second one purchased in 2012 has been an absolute dog from day 1.

Luckily it was under warranty - so far I've had to send it back and have replacement parts fitted for:

All the RAM chips
2 Graphics cards
PSU
Silent sleeves for the HDD's

And I still have one or 2 problems even now - the CPU fan is extremely noisy

Next one will be DIY, no question

Back