Computer won't restart.

Kitwell

I built a computer about a month ago and I have one problem that I haven't ironed out. It will not software restart. When I am loading new drivers and it asks you to restart the computer, it will act like it is going to restart and then the monitor will lose signal and I get nothing until I physically hit the restart button. Same thing if I am running windows and I try to do a software restart.
At first I thought it was a power problem so I bought a 431w power supply but I still have the same problem. Any ideas???

There's all sorts of things that will cause Windows to not shut down properly, which is what is happening. Unfortunately your best bet is going to the MS web site and search the knowledge base for shut down problems. If a normal shut down works, that may help you eliminate some of the potential problems and/or solutions.

I found help there once when I had a problem with Win 95, and the article gave about ten different time consuming things to try. But one of them did eventually fix it.

Good luck.

Must be that extra watt

What operating system, win9x, windows 2K?

Loading new drivers will often cause any of the above OS's to mess up.

Does it install the driver ok? If so, then that's a-ok.

Par for the course.

Operating System!!

I am running W2K, but I have run 98, 4.0 and ME. Same problem. I don't know how many times I have reloaded different operating systems. All drivers load properly, windows does shut down all the way. It just will not do a software restart. If I boot up my machine and hit (crtl alt del) before windows is even loading same thing. Monitor loses signal and I have to physically hit the restart button. If I hit the restart button while windows is running the Computer doesn’t shut down properly and it will not restart until I hit the button again.

Has to be your BIOS setting probably. Try to re-load the BIOS default setting and see if it solves your problem.

If not, try to disable power management control from the BIOS.

Tell us if this solves your problem.

Additionally, you can try post this thread also at
http://www.hardwarecentral.com discussion boards.

Gil.

The Keyboard Forum

Usually a problem like this is a driver issue, especially if you were on a network. But if the same thing happens with different OSs installed I would have to blame the motherboard. Unless your motherboard is very new, I would just chuck it and buy another. The $$$ you will pay for a new one will not cost you as much as the sheer annoyance value of what you have.

Never underestimate the value of a good motherboard, eh? It's amazing what a difference it can make.

And thank goodness for the wealth of reliable hardware websites on the net... I don't know how I'd ever get that kind of information on my own.

Motherboard???

You all are going to love this. I have changed motherboards and processors. The original motherboard I was running with this machine was an ASUS A7M. I thought it was a motherboard issue also so I sent it back and now I am running an A-bit KG7-R.

The only bios setting I messed with is the FSB; I changed it from 100Mhz to 133Mhz. I will try messing with it today.

Thanks,
Kit

Back