Computer upgrade/external mixer

Hornplayer

I need some advice. I want to record with my existing computer, and I also want to mix with my existing Korg RC1608 digital mixer. (16 channels)

I currently have a Compaq presario computer 575mhz
P III, with 30 gig of disk and 64 meg of ram. Running Win98, Cakewalk Pro 9, and Soundforge 5.0. Not sure on motherboard, (but it's probably standard compaq)

I plan on upgrading the computer by maxing out the ram 256meg I believe, and purchasing a MOTU 2408, and another disk drive, probably 30 gig 7200 rpm thing.

Then connect the external mixer to the MOTU 2408 through the light pipe optical from the mixer to the MOTU. (2 connections I believe)

My studio is small, mostly personal stuff for recording, and I also record acoustic guitar, with sax and or trumpet and drums. 4-5 piece jazz bands are about as big as I get. I envision using 8-12 tracks simultaneously, both in and out, but that's about it.

Questions:
Will the computer config above handle this?
Is this a solid platform? (performance and trouble free)
What kind of disk drive do I buy?
Mic pre's required?

----OR------

Do I can the whole computer thing and buy an Akai DR16 multitracker. Record on that and upload tracks to the computer for editing and mix down.

A little confused here. All the advice I can get is appreciated. It's a lot of money no matter how you look at it, so I want to be right.

Thanks for the help.

Back