Computer Recording clipping

Nick The Man

my question is:

when i listen to several tracks on my recording program (Vegas 6) i can hear clipping when nothing is actually clipping. For example, lets say there is three guitar tracks that overlap eachother and when they are all played together there will be clipping but when I listen to each individual track on solo there is actually is no clipping. I DONT UNDERSTAND??????????????

Are you talking about summing? As in you have three tracks that all peak at -1dB, but when you sum them together, they peak at +4dB ...??
If you lower the track volume of each, does the clipping stop?

In otherwords, is it an actual OVER, or a perceptual thing ...

In my sound cards control panel i am able to assign all the ouputs to one set of stereo outs to monitor. In my recording software i can still assign recorded tracks to seperate ouputs, but they still come out of the main output. I also record everything stereo when i can, then i pan the tracks left and right. Ive noticed that the ouput is higher when i leave them both centered at the same time. So i guess what im trying to say is, if you happened to record in stereo, try panning the stereo pairs to left and right. Also try to assign them to seperate outputs if possible.

Last edited:
Look at the stereo buss meters. An individual track may not be clipping but if too much level (like when you sum multiple tracks) hits the stereo out, it can clip. You may have to reduce the level of all the individual track faders a bit.

ohhhh ok ill lower the volumes .. i wanted to see if was just a software conflict or something but i guess ill just have to lower them Thank you

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Dude, this is basic Mixing 101. You've been doing this for how long? You are starting to record other bands? (I hope you don't charge them $) You (claim to) have a studio? With a name and everything? :eek:

You have three tracks peaking at -4. You sum them to stereo. Did you really think you'd end up with the stereo bus peaking at -4? :confused:

rayc said:
1 + 1 + 1 = 3 remember.

This is just like on the Photography forums, where some guy says
"I just started a Portrait studio, I have my Rebel XT and the kit lens. I have my first paid job this week, but I need to know what settings to use on the camera. Do I just put it in Portrait mode?"

I kid you not, there is a dude going around starting a portrait business who doesn't know what a guide number or f-stop is...
:D

gordone said:
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Dude, this is basic Mixing 101. You've been doing this for how long? You are starting to record other bands? (I hope you don't charge them $) You (claim to) have a studio? With a name and everything? :eek:

You have three tracks peaking at -4. You sum them to stereo. Did you really think you'd end up with the stereo bus peaking at -4? :confused:

This is just like on the Photography forums, where some guy says
"I just started a Portrait studio, I have my Rebel XT and the kit lens. I have my first paid job this week, but I need to know what settings to use on the camera. Do I just put it in Portrait mode?"

I kid you not, there is a dude going around starting a portrait business who doesn't know what a guide number or f-stop is...
:D

take it easy cheif i was just asking a question, in which i got an answer and it was solved

Back