Computer Recording

songsj

Okay , right now I track on a 2488 and mix on a computer with Reaper. The only thing stopping me from recording on the computer right now is I am my own engineer and performer. When singing I do several entire takes and often punch in sections when I think I can do better. It can be as much as a few lines to just a phrase or occasionally just a word. The Tascam footswitch works really well for this. Now if I am not mistaken when recording in a DAW on computer is the space bar the same as the record button. If so I am considering putting together a set up when I am recording where I have a keyboard on a stand next to me to punch in and out. This is just a thought. Thoughts?

Hi,
Usually space is start/stop whether recording or not but some DAWS will let you set it so that it punches in and out.
Others will have a separate key for when you're in punch mode. It's 3 on the numpad in ProTools, for example.

If you have any midi devices they could probably be set up for punch. I don't know...Just throwing it out there.

I did a little more research and I think Reaper has some pretty slick auto punch features, I might just be able to make this work. This would be my last step in laving the porta studio behind and moving into the computer recording and mixing world. Now to choose an inter face. Here we go.

In the days of tape, punching in and out with precision was a way to get seamless insertions of better takes. This is the process that has been replicated in digital recorders such as the Tascam.

It has also carried over into the computer-based DAW realm.

But you no longer need to think in that linear mode of doing repairs. And that's where the flexibility of DAWs such as Reaper really comes into its own. Reaper does have pretty good auto-punch features, but there are many ways of getting the results you want.

I'd be surprised if Reaper didn't do something like Pro Tools' playlist. It's a lot like the virtual tracks on some of the old digital hardware recorders, multiple takes that shared one channel of the output. Using playlists you can easily do a series of takes and comp them into a final version, all in one track.

I'd be surprised if Reaper didn't do something like Pro Tools' playlist. It's a lot like the virtual tracks on some of the old digital hardware recorders, multiple takes that shared one channel of the output. Using playlists you can easily do a series of takes and comp them into a final version, all in one track.

Yep. Reaper uses lanes within a track

Yes and I think what looks like the ease of setting up auto punch in and out points either by time selection or item will make this doable for me. I will be doing some serious looking at interfaces. I think I need one with very low round trip latency as I need to hear what I am singing with which will already be recorded on tracks in the DAW. Am I correct?

Yes and I think what looks like the ease of setting up auto punch in and out points either by time selection or item will make this doable for me. I will be doing some serious looking at interfaces. I think I need one with very low round trip latency as I need to hear what I am singing with which will already be recorded on tracks in the DAW. Am I correct?

The recorded audio is automatically offset to line up with the playback audio, assuming the record latency is accurately measured, which it generally is. Latency that you'll have to deal with is just on the live inputs, and that is generally well handled by the interface.

nanoKONTROL2 - SLIM-LINE USB CONTROLLER | KORG (U.K.)

That ^ will give you basic transport functions over USB, I have mk1 and it seems pretty solid. USB should be reliable up to 5mtrs (for MIDI control. Audio interfaces are pushing things beyond 3mtrs I find).

If you have trouble seeing the monitor you can buy a cheap FST TV from a charity shop, most modern computers have an HDMI output.

Interfaces? Legion but makes sure it has MIDI I/O, you seem to be the sort of chap that will need it!

Dave.

Back