Computer Recording

Cloud Nine

Simultaneous Recording

I want to record multiple inputs at the same time (e.g. multiple drum mics, guitar and bass etc) and have each individual mic or input be recorded as an individual track. The software I have is Adobe Audition so I presume that it is capable of this, what I am concerned about is the equipment I need, can it be done with just a multi channel mixer (including instruments and amps of course) or do I need a USB mixer, or is their a whole different alternative. Please guide me through the process of setting up and simultaneously recording multiple tracks into Audition.

Thank you.

You need a multi-channel audio interface. All the mixer does is just that -- mix separate audio inputs into a mono output, a stereo output, or a multiple buss output. You still need to digitize the audio, and that's what the interface does. Generally, you don't want to do a live analog mix and then digitize it to your computer. The whole idea is to do the mix in post, when you can experiment and do non-destructive mixes to get exactly the sound you want.

You didn't mention which version of Audition you have. Audition supports ASIO devices, and those are what you want to use, as they minimize latency. Depending on your computer's available inputs, you can use either USB or 1394/Firewire, though the latter is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

As with any computer hardware (and anything that doesn't carry the brand, "Monster"), you get what you pay for. You can find audio interfaces for as little $20. I have an 8-channel M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R for which I paid $700. Everything depends on what you want to do with what you record, how many channels you need to record simultaneously, what you're recording and how much quality you want out of the final mix/master.

Audition is a great tool for audio production -- there's not much you can't do with it. As for the rest, it's up to you.

Simultaneous Recording

I want to record multiple inputs at the same time (e.g. multiple drum mics, guitar and bass etc) and have each individual mic or input be recorded as an individual track.

To record direct to your computer, your interface (sound card or ext. box) must have the number of inputs you wish to record.

can it be done with just a multi channel mixer (including instruments and amps of course) or do I need a USB mixer, or is their a whole different alternative. Please guide me through the process of setting up and simultaneously recording multiple tracks into Audition.

An external analogue mixer will sum the individual instruments to whichever soundcard inputs it is connected to and the ability to mix within the software negates the need for an external analogue mixer. That doesn't mean you can't use one if you want to but the computer can only receive as many tracks as it's digital connections allow.

Some digital mixers, control surfaces and multitrack recorders double up as computer audio interfaces, which you connect via either USB or firewire, to your computer. Here the tracks are split per input and fed to your computer as separate tracks, as any external, multiple input interface would do.

An advantage of using a digital multitrack recorder is that it is more portable (unless you choose a laptop) and if the computer should develop any problem at a crucial moment, you still have a means of recording, until the issue is fixed.

I don't know about Audition software but pretty much all recording programs (DAWs) have multi-tracking features for capturing and editing/ mixing your tracks.

Back