Computer Line Noise

Venesectrix

I have a HP Pavilion MX70(don't laugh I didn't buy it)
Everything on the computer is out of the box.
My problem is that there seems to be, I guess what you could call, "digital line noise" Basically mouse movement, and other functions make noises. What's really strange though, is that even when I mute everything the noise doesn't stop. The only thing I've found to cut the noise down is to click and hold, on say, the minus button. How all this noise is getting though the sound card is beyond me. Anyone know what the problem is? Or is it just a "buy a new soundcard" solution?

Venesectrix said:
I have a HP Pavilion MX70(don't laugh I didn't buy it)
Everything on the computer is out of the box.
My problem is that there seems to be, I guess what you could call, "digital line noise" Basically mouse movement, and other functions make noises. What's really strange though, is that even when I mute everything the noise doesn't stop. The only thing I've found to cut the noise down is to click and hold, on say, the minus button. How all this noise is getting though the sound card is beyond me. Anyone know what the problem is? Or is it just a "buy a new soundcard" solution?
The low level noise generated is caused by your mobo, your soundcard is picking up signals from it, and thus produces a digital sound for any action on your PC.

Get a new soundcard.

What I would like to do is some simple recording. Like recording vocals, guitar, and feed them from say a UB802, (future purchase) to the computer, one at a time. I'm the only one playing and singing, so I don't really need a multi-channel soundcard or anything special.

I just got a $35 gift certificate to Best Buy. How much am I looking at spending for a card with good sound quality?
Or does Best Buy not really have what I need?

Venesectrix said:
What I would like to do is some simple recording. Like recording vocals, guitar, and feed them from say a UB802, (future purchase) to the computer, one at a time. I'm the only one playing and singing, so I don't really need a multi-channel soundcard or anything special.

I just got a $35 gift certificate to Best Buy. How much am I looking at spending for a card with good sound quality?
Or does Best Buy not really have what I need?

Good Sound quality is subjective to the individual. You could buy a $30 Herculese Game Muse card and be happy, but it won't produce "Quality" Sound to people who know the difference.

If you want single track, good quality sound, on a pro-sumer level for a home studio, look at the lower level Terratec cards. Best Buy will not have anything that produces good sound quality, except maybe an Audigy card... but why pay $150 for a PC game card, when you can get a pro-sumer series card intended for home recording, for the same price?

Basically, you can't get the results your looking for, with $35.00. Expect to pay $150 for a quality soundcard with 24/96 capability.

Back