Computer freakout!

ManInMotion711

I have a Hp Pavilion 64-bit operating system with 6.00 gb of Installed ram and a IntelCore processor, CPU2.30 GHz DAW: Mixcraft 5

I've recently had an issue where my audio jack was not working properly. Id plug my headphones in and id get audio from the left ear only and audio would still come through the laptop speakers. I tried a restore point, i updated BIOS, i tried several pairs of headphones and speakers with no advance. Now all of the sudden my DAW ( Mixcraft 5) isnt letting anything with a sample rate about 48,000 play. Like my guitars have an amp simulator on them. Im using the WaveRT driver which wont let me select a sample rate lower than 88,200. <== pretty sure thats right in the ball park. It was never doing this before. Not once since ive had the software, or the laptop. Is this a possibility that my Soundcard is crapping the bed? and if so suggestions on a new one to buy?

I have a Hp Pavilion 64-bit operating system with 6.00 gb of Installed ram and a IntelCore processor, CPU2.30 GHz DAW: Mixcraft 5

I've recently had an issue where my audio jack was not working properly. Id plug my headphones in and id get audio from the left ear only and audio would still come through the laptop speakers. I tried a restore point, i updated BIOS, i tried several pairs of headphones and speakers with no advance. Now all of the sudden my DAW ( Mixcraft 5) isnt letting anything with a sample rate about 48,000 play. Like my guitars have an amp simulator on them. Im using the WaveRT driver which wont let me select a sample rate lower than 88,200. <== pretty sure thats right in the ball park. It was never doing this before. Not once since ive had the software, or the laptop. Is this a possibility that my Soundcard is crapping the bed? and if so suggestions on a new one to buy?

How old is your computer? Did you test your headphones on another source? I wouldn't think the sound card (on board?) would be going so quickly. Even if your computer is two or three years old.

The headphone jack problem sounds like just that - a problem with the jack, the fact that you were getting sound from one ear only and the monitors were not getting cut off automatically makes me think one contact on the plug was nto making contact with its counterpart on the jack.

What 'Soundcard' do you have - the original OEM one or aftermarket, or is this in fact an external audio interface?

DM50 i use these headphones everyday in my phone, and they work perfectly fine. And its the original Sound card that came with my laptop. When i plug in my audio interface and go hrough there for volume and such all audio is fine.

I don't know about the sample rate thing, but it's possible your headphone socket connections are just dirty.

My MBP headphone socket did the same thing a while back and a spot of cleaner sorted it out.

I just sprayed a little on the headphone male jack, then plugged/unplug/rotated a few times to work the connections clean.
It's good practice for any connector, really. Just make sure the jack isn't dripping or anything like that!

DM50 i use these headphones everyday in my phone, and they work perfectly fine. And its the original Sound card that came with my laptop. When i plug in my audio interface and go hrough there for volume and such all audio is fine.

Just checking. You don't really have a sound card, you have a DSP that is built into the board. That is why they usually don't go bad. As Steen stated, check to make sure you have good connections. If a wire is loose on the connection, you can repair it, but it is pretty difficult to do. So, if that doesn't work they make USB peripherals that you can use to replace it, or just a good old fashion interface.

Try Steen's suggestion.

Back