Computer/electrical noise in HS50m Monitors from computer

Lkoz91

Hi all

I've been having this issue since I've made my computer and I can't figure it out. I know many threads have posted similar issues like this, but I have a computer/rf/electrical noise coming from my HS50m monitors that gets louder when the computer is under stress. It sounds like this audio clip from a similar thread but a little higher pitched:

It has outputted the same sound from usb into my firestudio interface as well as usb to my scarlet 2i2 interface. It has also made the sound when I took the onboard 1/8" audio from my motherboard and split the signal to RCA, into 1/4" into my HS50ms. I can't test the xlr because I don't have an interface with XLR outs, but if I use the same audio chain and plug the scarlett into my macbook, there is no electrical noise.

Here's the weird part, I know it's not my mobo or psu because I brought it to a friend's house and there was no electrical noise when I used his usb connection to send to his active monitors (adam a7's i believe).

I can plug headphones into the interface or the onboard audio and the static won't be there. It has to be some sort of ground loop with my active speakers, but I've tried using two different power strips and even plugging in the speakers into a different outlet than the cpu, all to no avail.

I'm willing to spend money to fix this problem, I just have exhausted all ideas on what piece to replace. It's been so frustrating.

Here are my specs:

intel core i5-4690k quad core 3.5ghz
gigabyte ga-z97x-ud7
corsair rm650
ballistix tactical 8gb (2x4gb)

Any help is much appreciated!

Try what @Pinky said and if that does not solve your issue, you may want to try using an "Hum Eliminator". Make sure you read the reviews. 4.5 out of 20 reviews. I use his big brother that handles 8 channels instead of two. I run all my hardware through them. It is really nothing but a great big un powered filter but they do make a big difference. Third review down:

"Dead Quiet Speakers:This Ebtech hum eliminator is brilliant. My new studio monitors had an annoying low-level hum that I couldn't get rid of. I tried several cheap solutions but nothing worked. I found this Ebtech on Sweetwater and it's not cheap but it had good reviews, I gave it a try.
I hooked it up and turned on the speakers. They were dead quiet. They were so quiet, I had to double-check that they had power! Amazing. Now I'm enjoying crystal clear playback without any annoying hum. The Ebtech hum eliminator is worth every penny".

Also, if you can test your system from a laptop, this will x the voltage interference problem. Power conditioners are extremely over rated unless you drop thousands of dollars and these run off of dc voltage, just as a laptop does.

Last edited:
So I tried balanced trs to xlr cables and the sound was still there just as loud. I just purchased a hum eliminator and I'm hoping that solves the problem. If not I am going to rebuild my computer on a cardboard box to see if it is the casing and I think that should eliminate if it's my psu too, correct? This is seriously a confusing one and am reallllllly hoping the ebtech hum eliminator will solve this annoying problem

Even though I already gave you the answer in gearslutz, I'll post it here too. You need to lift the ground connection on the patch cables going to the monitors (cut the bare wire going to pin 1 inside the xlr connectors). This will remove the ground loop and enforce balance signal operation for the monitors. I still recommend going to an 850W Power supply in your computer. But that is because you should have at least 150W on the 5V & 3.3V supply for all of the cards and memory modules installed. I built computers with that motherboard and it does get noisy when the 3.3V and 5V in the power supply is taxed, and 850W power supplies is what I use with that board so I won't have that issue coming back to haunt me from a customer that hooks the computer up to their stereo.

Even though I already gave you the answer in gearslutz, I'll post it here too. You need to lift the ground connection on the patch cables going to the monitors (cut the bare wire going to pin 1 inside the xlr connectors). This will remove the ground loop and enforce balance signal operation for the monitors. I still recommend going to an 850W Power supply in your computer. But that is because you should have at least 150W on the 5V & 3.3V supply for all of the cards and memory modules installed. I built computers with that motherboard and it does get noisy when the 3.3V and 5V in the power supply is taxed, and 850W power supplies is what I use with that board so I won't have that issue coming back to haunt me from a customer that hooks the computer up to their stereo.

Was hoping there may be a cheaper alternative. I'm hoping this hum eliminator fixes the problem, but I'll check out a new PSU if that or cutting pin 1 doesn't solve the issue. Thank you

the only thing about hum eliminators is that they can cause phase shifting issues, but since your not trying to quiet a unit so you can record it, that is not so critical in your application. But I wanted to let you know the drawbacks of them.

the only thing about hum eliminators is that they can cause phase shifting issues, but since your not trying to quiet a unit so you can record it, that is not so critical in your application. But I wanted to let you know the drawbacks of them.

I will be using this computer in my home setup to check mixes so that is good to know

I've had comb filter issues mixing tracks that only one or two tracks had a hum eliminator on them. Monitors shouldn't be an issue

Back