Computer Based Recording Setup vs. Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit?

fin13

Hey guys.

I'm doing a paper for my class on:

Computer Based Recording Setup vs. Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit

I need to get actual user feedback for a piece in the article. So I need some feedback if you have the time. I'm going to ask the Analog guys in their forum too.

What are the the Advantages of having a Computer Based Recording Setup
(versus a Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit)?

Thanks,
JennyFin :)

Hey guys.

I'm doing a paper for my class on:

Computer Based Recording Setup vs. Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit

I need to get actual user feedback for a piece in the article. So I need some feedback if you have the time. I'm going to ask the Analog guys in their forum too.

What are the the Advantages of having a Computer Based Recording Setup
(versus a Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit)?

Thanks,
JennyFin :)

Hi JennyFin,

I'm sure you'll get tons of feedback, so I'll offer up the main one for me: Portability of work files with fewer steps involved.

I do my (hobbyist) recording with the goal of working on them within my DAW. With a standalone, such as the Korg D3200, I can get the tracks off, but it's an extra step. Or in the Korg's case, multiple steps, as each track requires a separate setup in order to export it.

By going directly into my (Saffire Pro 24) Firewire interface to my computer, the tracks are recorded and ready for me to mangle, er, manage right away.

And once the files are there, I can grab my laptop, take it with me, and work on them where and when I care to.

Hope this helps, good luck with your class!

i don't mean to be rude, and i'm sure plenty of people will be happy to help, but....

if u do a search around the analog forums and elsewhere, you'll find plenty of info that'll help you.....

arguing to the death about which is better,,a or b, seems to be a strong theme around here,,so there's no shortage of healthy debate about this kind of thing. :)

out of interest, when you say "Standalone Multitrack Recording Unit", does that include digital media?

if your paper comes down to advantages of computer based vs advantages of analog setups,,you may have fun defining the desirable qualities of analogue :P

I think the OP is talking about computer DAW recording versus an all-in-one digital multitrack unit from Tascam et al.

Yeah, I don't think it's an analog vs. digital thing.

I use a dedicated multitrack unit for recording in the field, where most of my work is done. I then import the files to my DAW in my small project studio, where I have more tools to do post production work on them.

One difficulty with computerized DAWs, at least PCs, is their tendency to crash. I don't have an Apple setup, so cannot speak to that. But I've had all kinds of niggly headaches working with firewire interfaces and my PC laptop - so much so that when I do recording I practice redundancy with a dedicated unit too.

The irony is that the dedicated unit I use is an old AKAI DPS16 - introduced about fifteen years ago just as the USB standard was beginning to get recognized. The DPS16 was intended to do the post production work internally, so its I/O is primitive. However, I still use it (and prefer it to other dedicated units now on the market) because of two reasons: First, the sound. The AKAI preamps are stunning and, particularly when capturing 8 tracks at a time in 24/48, are joyous to work with. Second - the unit takes a pounding and has never crashed on me. Not once. Never.

I'm held up at the moment from post production of a hot a capella choir project because my hot rod PC DAW - an ASUS / 64 bit Athlon chipped monster with a couple terabytes of storage - blew its motherboard. They don't make it any more, and it was in high demand as a powerful motherboard when in production - so the market is pricey. It uses a 939 socket CPU and has DDR1 memory.... neither of which are generally compatible with new motherboards. I can get a replacement motherboard that will use my chips for about $ 450, or I can build a new 4 gig AMD DAW using my case, software and drives for about $400. It'll take a few days to get the DAW built. But when it's done... it will cook.

My old AKAI unit works fine though... So which is better? Beats the hell out of me. I certainly know which one I can depend on.

Back