Compression

Jazzbeau

Should compression be applied as you are tracking/recording (let's say a vocal track) before it gets sent to your recording software or should it be applied after? Is the effect the same applied after as it would be if it were applied when you track?

Are there any hard and fast exceptions one way or the other?

Thanks all.

j.b.

Should compression be applied as you are tracking/recording (let's say a vocal track) before it gets sent to your recording software or should it be applied after?
It's up to you. Different people do different things. I personally apply compression on the way in, and then usually not after it's recorded, although that's not always the case. The main reason I do it that way is because I like my RNC better than I like my Waves renaissance compressor, although I like it a lot too. Anyway, you're not going to get any sort of consensus on this issue. Different people do different things. You'll have to experiment to see what you like best. A lot of people say that it's better to apply compression after you've recorded a track, because then your options aren't limited (because if you applied too much compression to a track you can't "de-compress" it, but if you've applied too little you can always add more compression). There's definitely merit to this argument, but I've gotten to the point where i know about how much compression I'm going to want on a track. I want to be able to record a track at a reasonable volume, so I apply a reasonable amount of compression. That's what works best for me. YMMV.

Some people actually do both, a little while tracking just to get a hotter signal and to avoid 'overs', and whatever else you need at mixdown.

I agree with coming in second, it depends on your setup, if your software does a better job than the outboard compressor, do it afterwards, if your outboard gear is better, use it with the knowledge of how much is too much. You can always do more but can't undo if you compress as the signal comes in.
jj

Back