Compensating for Display Lag - Audio Post Production

Scorge

Hey folks,

I'm not sure which discussion to put this question under but:

How can one compensate for display lag in an audio post production environment?

For example, certain LCD screens can introduce a playback lag of up to 60ms, and projectors are even more notorious for this. Would this not introduce a delay between visual playback and the audio output of the system? Or is this automatically compensated for in software?

I've never noticed it myself... just a question :thumbs up:

Thanks,

Zach

Add some delay to your monitoring path?

It's never been that much of a problem for me. I do notice it and I don't like it but display lag is generally the least of my concerns in the studio.

The only time I've had a problem with it is at home with the TV. If I monitor the audio out of the blueray player, it is out of sync with the video. The solution is to monitor the audio output of the TV, because the TV delays the audio along with the video.

IN a studio setting, you would have to figure out the delay and compensate for it manually.

If your TV/display has a "game" mode, try that. On some TVs that disables additional image processing that creates visual lag.

Thanks folks, I think Farview said it simply that I would have to manually calculate the lag of the visual monitoring system. Once that's calculated it's as simple as applying a delay to the master out that is equivalent to the delay of the visual monitoring system. The tricky part is figuring out how to calculate the delay of the visual system...

If you are lucky enough to have hdmi outputs on your system, all you have to do is run the audio through the hdmi, record it, and look at the daw to determine the lag.

Back