Closed Headphones that will not bleed into a Larg Diaph Vocal mic during recording???

pisces7378

At the moment I am using a VERY EXPENSIVE pair of beyerdynamic DT 990 professional headphone. Cost around $110. They are open backed and are about as good as it gets for trying to do a mix with just headphones and not near fields. The open back design doesn#t trap the sound in the ears and much better simulates a speaker sound rather than the old "cans of sound" from most headphones. The only problem is... those same open backs leak the sound out as if I were having two 3 inch woofers in the room while trying to do a vocal take.

I have of course seen the AKG gold headphone and the hundreds of headphones out there. But I am looking for a set of closed (and I do mean water tight) head phones so that I can be in the same room with my Rode NTK and the metronome click isn't click it's way through my vocal or drum takes. I know that there are things that one can do to minimize headphone bleed but with these headphones nothing helps.

What is the ABSOLUTELY TIGHTEST SEALED headphones in the world. I have tried to live with this delima for far3 too long... I need some tracking head phones but don't know where to start.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys,

Mike

I just asked exactly the same question in the 'other equipment' forum under 'Headphones'.

It's a very informative thread.

foo

If you want a tight seal, you better shave your head, at least around the ears. I guess you would have to try 'em on to find the ones that best fit snug on YOUR head and leave enough room for all of your ears to fit into. If different people will be using, I would try to find the biggest ones out there. My Sony MDR 7506 fit pretty snug, but my lobes stick out the bottom, so there would be some leakage.

Back