Clipping problems with Focusrite Saffire 6 - is this a known issue?

DownTheUpstair

(will delete older post in different forum if admin wants me to, just ask me, please don't remove this one straight away!)

Hi, I've been running into a problem for awhile with my Focusrite Saffire 6 that I can't understand and wondered if anyone could help out!

Upon trying to record into any new track in Reaper with a guitar going direct into my Focusrite Saffire 6 interface, the track is always clipping, usually by about 1 to 3 dB over 0, even though I have the Gain knob for the input I am using on the interface set to 0, with absolutely no other Gain at all in software or hardware, and a completely dry signal with no plugins or other FX enabled.

I've heard people say about lowering the volume knob on the guitar, however I find this affects the tone which I don't like, as well as suggestions to lower the actual volume fader on the track, though I can't see how this would help as it would only lower the volume of the track and not the volume of the actual signal going into the input itself. Also suggestions to use the Pad switch, though this barely helps the problem at all, it still clips and also affects the tone.

Heard suggestions that maybe the signal going in is too hot, though I can't understand this as I usually use a PRS with passive pickups going direct in, and even having tried with an Ibanez using active pickups, there is not much difference between the two! If anyone could offer a solution that would be great, been trying to sort this for close to 6 months now to no avail, it's driving me nuts! Thanks for your help!

HP 15 Laptop bought new last year, Windows 10 64-bit, CPU 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface

Back