Clicks/Pops while recording

Iamlion123

Hoping someone could help me get this issue figured out. Thank you to anyone willing to comment on any possible solutions to my problem.

I Originally had an M-Audio Fast Track C400 that I absolutely loved but at times it would give me issues. It only had 2 mic inputs and I wanted 4 so I sold it and bought a new one. I never knew there was a C600! so I hunted it down and bought it second hand because I loved my C400 and the C600 is virtually the same but with 4 mic inputs. When I brought it home I almost thought it was broken because I couldn't get the damn thing to work... but from past experience with my C400 I knew I could make it work...

After tinkering with drivers and a bunch of other crap I have it now recording into Reaper with all 4 channels. My monitors play sound on not only Reaper but YouTube and all other programs as well which is what I had hoped for... but when I record into Reaper there are these little crackling/popping noises...

If I record a track, I hear it while I monitor, then when I play the track back the crackling noises are there.. then when I export it they are there... so they are ruining my recordings but if I import a song into reaper and play it there are no crackling noises. If I play play a song on youtube or netflix there are not crackles.

It seems to me the crackles are coming from the interface sending the recording into reaper... I've tested different mics and different channels on the interface and i'ts all the same crackles in the end. I've messed around with some settings like block size, buffer, ect.. with no luck. I was hoping you guys would give me some advice on the settings to use... I'm at the point where I feel like completely wiping windows off my computer and starting fresh to see if it makes a difference.

I don't think its the interface hardware that is doing it because with the C600 and C400 there is this software that comes with the driver where you can choose hardware sends volume... and software sends volume... If I turn up hardware sends volume and turn down the software sends volume there are no crackles and it sounds amazing. Where as if software sends is turned up I hear the crackles... but no matter which combo I use in the end the crackles are in the recording. If I turn up hardware sends then my monitoring is coming from the interface and there are no crackles but when I play the track back through reaper the crackles are there.

Another thing I'd like to note is that it seems like the crackles aren't a constant static... its like the shape to my voice. If I start recording and make no noise there aren't really any crackles.. but with I start singing loud it like they get worse.

Any help appreciated guys/gals! Thank you for taking the time to read my long post!

Posting a sample of the noise would help. Have you tried a different USB cable, and different USB port?

Man I changes the cable and the USB Port and its completely clear! Thank you so much, so simple yet so important... I'm glad I had this forum to ask. +Rep thanks again man.

Back