Cleaning up programs & registry:

I have used MS Security Essentials for years on all my W7 PCs and never really had a problem. I have HAD problems, quite a while ago.

Goodbye Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus

"In October 2012, Microsoft Security Essentials scored so low that it lost its AV-TEST certification. In June 2013, MSE received a zero protection score from AV-TEST — the lowest possible score. It’s also come last in other recent tests, including one by Dennis Technology Labs."

:D

Youy ignore the updates to the story (on THAT page).

:D

OK...here's another one from 2017:

Microsoft Security Essentials vs. top third-party antiviruses

"The overall idea is not that Microsoft Security Essential is the worst antivirus solution to use. The conclusions are more complex and talks about additional security features that can better protect your Windows system and which cannot be used on the default Windows Defender software.

There are better solutions than Microsoft Security Essential even when discussing about free platforms, such as the already described Avira, Avast or AVG platforms."

And another one:

Best free antivirus of 2017: Which free antivirus package should you be using? | Alphr

MSE scored at the bottom. :(

Thing is...if you want "free"...you get what you *don't* pay for. ;)

:)

I find it funny that you remove admin rights because you have concerns...but then opt for nothing more than Windows Defender to protect your computers. :D

AFA the admin thing...there are hacks that allow someone to gain admin access through the guest account...and probably a couple of other ways.
Yes, it requires higher level skills...but then, most dedicated hackers possess them.

OK to be clear I am not worried about a Hacker breaking through my password protected router and then getting into my local admin protected PC's ...I'm just not worth the effort of someone of such skills to bother with. I'd think that is pretty true of most of the members here other than IBleedburgundy that capitalist bastard! :cursing: :D

I once upon a time did catch a virus that got into my registry whilst protected by Norton and it destroyed my registry..which led me and my nerd buddies to try our best to protect ourselves from future pain..Enter the Lenten Promise card...NOTHING could make changes to the registry without password protected permission...No more antivirus software just the Lenten card...well hell that is 10+ years ago...then I told him about the Admin thing and we tossed the lenten cards in future builds..

I spoke to my buddy who works for Oracle on the back end...all Linux in that world...He says there is a lot of new weird shit out there ...worms that just sit in your computer lurking undetectable waiting to activate for who knows why or when :eek: NOBODY is safe no matter what you do all you can do is try and CYA as best you determine...He mentioned a software called spyhunter 4 that for $40 found shit none of the other anti virus software he had did..

In regards to important DATA...one word...Google I keep all my important data in the cloud and up until recently was using Google drive...They have changed that name to Back up and Sync which is free up to a certain amount. My Data is safer there than pretty much anywhere...least that's how I feel about it...

I've been down the crashed PC lost data lonely painful road before I keep a flash drive with all my important programs on it "just in case" but going into my 7th year of business I've not had a infection...I did have a hard drive fail on one of my laptops but all data was backed up at Google and on my home work computer so I just swapped hard drives and reinstalled what I needed..

If you want to have some fun go over to C-net and check out the 1 star reviews on the top 5 anti virus softwares...I found it comical that the #1 recommended antivirus software Norton had a 4+ star rating but....If you look closer....For all versions of Norton over 25% of the people who rated it gave it 1 star with a plethora of horror stories...I am sure if I searched the 1 star reviews of all the major anti virus softwares the story would be similar.... just saying...Nothing is perfect...there are no guarantees...

Last edited:
:d

ok...here's another one from 2017:

microsoft security essentials vs. Top third-party antiviruses

"the overall idea is not that microsoft security essential is the worst antivirus solution to use. The conclusions are more complex and talks about additional security features that can better protect your windows system and which cannot be used on the default windows defender software.

There are better solutions than microsoft security essential even when discussing about free platforms, such as the already described avira, avast or avg platforms."

and another one:

best free antivirus of 2017: Which free antivirus package should you be using? | alphr

mse scored at the bottom. :(

thing is...if you want "free"...you get what you *don't* pay for. ;)

roflmao

Well, PC numpty about to opine....
I HAD Avast years ago, became intrusive, bloated interfering ***t. I then paid for something else but that too became intrusive and as my PC collection grew, I could not afford it on all of them.

Then I discovered Ms Ess, seems fine, never bugs me (Ha-Ha!) and, as I say, not had an attack this 6 years or more but I AM careful. I search a lot for technical data but if they want me to register F.O! No vlaid company wants to snare you to give you the .pdf on their OP AMPs.

Nobody here seems to have the FULL SP so, I shall continue in free, blind, so far untroubled ignorance!

Dave.

well, pc numpty about to opine....
I had avast years ago, became intrusive, bloated interfering ***t. I then paid for something else but that too became intrusive and as my pc collection grew, i could not afford it on all of them.

Then i discovered ms ess, seems fine, never bugs me (ha-ha!) and, as i say, not had an attack this 6 years or more but i am careful. I search a lot for technical data but if they want me to register f.o! No vlaid company wants to snare you to give you the .pdf on their op amps.

Nobody here seems to have the full sp so, i shall continue in free, blind, so far untroubled ignorance!

Dave.

snap!

Back