Clarett Focuspro 4 Pre

Marais

Just bought it and started recording with it.
Nice to have the Thunderbolt connection.

I'm used to the RME Babyface Pro.

I'm now recording with a stereo pair of the AKG 414 microphones.

It seems to me that I have to shoot the gain way up (classical music) compared to the Babyface Pro and the Neumann KM184 microphones that I'm used to recording with.

The waveform and peaklevels in Logic are smaller also.

What am I doing wrong or is this normal?

The resulting recording is fine, and maybe has more to do with the latest update of Logic to 10.3?

Thanks for any insight.

In fact I figured it out myself. The Clarett 4 Pre has this feature :
Air
Each input channel of your Clarett interface has a switchable AIR function; this subtly modi es the pre-amp’s frequency response to model the impedance and resonance characteristics of Focusrite’s classic transformer based ISA mic Pre-amps. See your Clarett User Guide for more details.
AIR can be switched in and out of circuit independently for each channel by clicking the AIR buttons. The LEDs on the unit’s front panel will also con rm that AIR has been selected for each channel.

In fact this changes the gain radically compared with the feature turned off. I did a comparative between the two sound cards = RME Babyface Pro and the Clarett Focusrite 4 Pre with both the AKG 414 and KM 184 microphones and both sound cards produce similar results. I repeat only this Air feature changes all. I don't really see the need but whatever.

Here is a screen shot, I left all the gain exactly identical for each take on both sound cards. The only difference in tracks 9 & 10 is what I said have the AIR feature on or off.Capture d’e?cran 2017-04-29 a? 18.35.03.jpg

Back