Choosing a Laptop for Music Making

An interesting article. I know very little about computers but I know a little more now than I did before I read this.
I tend to use my laptop for housing my virtual instruments as I prefer to record on standalones. But the day may well arrive when some of the options that exist currently will have been phased out almost totally so any computer based options are worth getting my head around now, at least in embryo.

The two Quad Core’s were not as fast as expected but then the comparison between at 2.4GHz dual core and a 1.6GHz Quad core is difficult to make assumptions about – essentially you are comparing 4.8GHz to 6.4GHz and so we should be looking at a 25% performance difference and that is actually not far from what we got. The perception of a Quad Core though would assume a much bigger increase

Nice article, but this is a very incorrect statement. Having more cores helps for programs that are multi-threaded - essentially allowing them to work on more than one thing at a time. However, if the program isn't written in such a way that it can take advantage of this, then having more cores makes no difference. Now I have no idea to what extent those programs are multi-threaded, but having twice the cores does by no means imply twice the performance.

As an Example Logic is developed to take advantage of multi core technology:
With and I7 quad core with hyper-threading my system monitor shows 8 cores and Logic uses all of them. Not every software is optimized to take advantage of multi-core systems yet.
in 64 bit mode I can tell Logic how many cores I want it to use to free up CPU power for software instruments.......Its a nice feature.

It's a little biased, but that's OK. There are so many variables not mentioned; hard drive speed, on board cache, or if he has hyper threading on or off. And what about USB? Why only Firewire?
You can get by with an 'old' laptop (I'm proof) if you are super careful. If you watch YouTube - Learning how to use Cubase LE Part 2, Bill Childress shows you how to use a 'junk' computer built from scrap parts, and record with Cubase LE. That got me going, and I'm doing it as an avid follower. If you go easy on the plug ins, that old Dell or Think Pad will work, and work well enough to get your song ideas recorded. And that's why I do it; not to impress anyone with how many plug ins I used or how many cores my processor has. The money I saved not buying a super-duper laptop bought me a nice interface and a few good mics.

My Macbook Pro, RME Fireface 400 and Avalon U5 have made me lot's of money in music. Laptops are very powerful and much more useful than a desktop. If you are a mobile musician that is. And these days most of us have to be.

How fast of a MacBook for multi-track audio?

Hi folks,
I am just getting setting up to do my own recording and I was hoping someone could help me with some advice. Specifically, how fast of a laptop (Macbook/Macbook Pro) will I need to record 8-tracks (ideally 24/96) simultaneously thru cubase? I am looking at probably a used Macbook Pro or maybe the new, low-end 13" macbook pro. To be clear, I have a nice fast desktop at home I'll be using for all the mixing and post stuff. This is strictly for recording and with no effects or anything — just dry tracking of acoustic music.

Also, I will probably use an external HD to record to; can I get away with USB 2 or do I need firewire, and if so is FW400 gonna do it?

The interface I'm using is an io|26.

That's all for now. Thanks so much for your help!

You don't need to spend $$$ on an iMac, optionally you can buy an Intel CPU based laptop.

I second the firewire IEE1394 spec.

So if you can get a laptop with an onboard firewire card and pin interface that would be able to handle any high volume of audio you create, that comes from an external line in audio card. The more onboard memory for data buffering the better.

A PCMCIA interface is a plus too. Means you can plugin a optional sound card e.g. echo.

An operating system that can switch between 32-bit and 64-bit mode. You might have older software 32-bit, so the address mode switch is required. If it is running in 64-bit mode, your system will be able to use +4Gb of RAM. So 8GB, 16GB RAM, etc, is possible. Theoretically a 64-bit Operating System, uses virtual addressing to address 16EB (Exabytes). Good size of RAM.

A standard dual core should be able to handle enough processing, coming in on the motherboard bus from the firewire card.

If you are using an Intel CPU you can run dual-boot Operating Systems. Windows on one partition and Snowleopard OSX (Apple OS for iMacs) on the other. Snowleopard will outperform Windows, but you will have the choice of software from both systems. Acronis DiskManager 11 for about $40 will setup a dual-boot for you; One of the most popular products out there.

I would say to get something with enough Ram and processing power, but invest in a good interface and microphone and you can get good results, Mac or a PC laptop jsut make sure its fast enough. pretty simple.

Nice article, but this is a very incorrect statement. Having more cores helps for programs that are multi-threaded - essentially allowing them to work on more than one thing at a time. However, if the program isn't written in such a way that it can take advantage of this, then having more cores makes no difference. Now I have no idea to what extent those programs are multi-threaded, but having twice the cores does by no means imply twice the performance.

As a general rule, modern audio software handles multiple cores very well. It's a trivially parallelizable task; in an extreme case, you could literally run each channel on a separate core, and no thread would ever depend on sharing data with any other thread until the very last step where the channels are mixed down for output.

So for audio recording purposes, if the speedup from adding multiple cores is significantly less than multiplying the clock speed times the number of cores, that usually indicates a bus speed bottleneck.

I love how the dude's firewire interface crashed everything he plugged it into, lol.

I gave up on firewire awhile back. USB2 seems to work well, and I'm sure my next lappy with have USB3. I hereby predict that firewire interfaces will soon go the way of 8-Track tape decks.

I can tell you I'm getting sick of putting up with the Bill Gates syndrome and am about ready to put a bullet through my PC laptop and the studio CPU. I think an Apple is in my future... after the megabucks cashes in for me.

I just got a Samsung RF711 and it's great for music production. Core i7, 8GB RAM, room for a second internal drive, two USB 3.0, ports and two USB 2.0 ports, an HDMI out for an external monitor, and a 17" high def screen. Best part is this puppy is around $1000 street price.

Two advantages to recording on a laptop, as opposed to a desktop.

1.) Mobility! this is a huge deal for me. The drums are in the basement, but most of my other equipment is in my office. I need to record in two different places. Plus I can take my rig over to my brother's house to record his band if need be.

2.) Practically Noise Free! Fan noise sucks on most all desktop units. They are designed to suck alot of air through. Laptops have fans, but most of their cooling is from passive dissipation to the laptop case. So no worries about getting your powersuppy fan noise picking up in your mics. Now if you have a true booth setup, this may not be an issue for you. For those of us who have to improvise, this is HUGE!

I would suggest "Toshiba Satellite P100-ST9762". Check out its features. Really good for music making:)
or else there are various other models in Toshiba. They offer good discounts too. Just check out!

2.) Practically Noise Free! Fan noise sucks on most all desktop units. They are designed to suck alot of air through. Laptops have fans, but most of their cooling is from passive dissipation to the laptop case. So no worries about getting your powersuppy fan noise picking up in your mics.

Maybe you're using the wrong desktops. My experience has been exactly the opposite. When laptop fans are running at full speed, you can hear them easily from across the room, and you're pretty much stuck with the fans that come with them. By contrast, desktop machines can be made whisper quiet by changing out the power supply (if needed) and the CPU and GPU fans. It's fairly easy to do, in fact, and takes under an hour for a complete swap.

Hello all. New to homerecording.com. Old music/hiphop beat maker looking to resurrect my hobby with video and youtube. Anyway, I'm looking for a laptop with decent sound already built in. My last computer was a toshiba satellite, and I wasn't too thrilled with it's sound card because it wouldn't allow you to 1) hear yourself on the mic and 2) record "what you hear" or "stereo mix". Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the board uses HP's Beats Audio, and do you think it would work well with Sonar or Ableton Live /w Reason

Back