Choosing a Laptop for Music Making

I have used MBP and various Windows laptops in the audio field (provided by employer), and to be honest I see no real advantage in paying extra dollars for the MBP, nice though that is. I used a new Macbook pro for a week and it failed under warranty, also have a friend who is having annoying intermittant problems using a second display with his MBP..these are things I take into account when I decide to buy my next computer shortly, although I nearly bought a MBP recently, I 've seen some excellent results with some of the thumping gaming Laptops running Windows 7 and 8 on Cubase, Reason, Reaper, Samplitude so far. I am now leaning in the gaming Windows based laptop direction as a far as bang for buck.

#1 - processor i3/5/7
#2 - how much processING can be done at once which is RAM

Just stick by these two rules of thumb and you should be fine.
Me- a MacBook Pro i5 w/ 8 GB ram.
Also dell Mobile Workstation i7/16 GB Ram.

In my opinion, A very powerful PC or Laptop isn't a necessity.
I've made orchestral tracks with 20 to 57 instruments in a Compaq Presario laptop with 512MB RAM, 1.6Ghz Intel Celeron and no fancy soundcard. When you love music you just try to do what you can and then find other ways to do what you can't. I've always used FL Studio and Adobe Audition. My first experiences with music where in an old HP Pavilion with a 4GB hard drive, 333mhz intel processor and 256MB of RAM! I've always found workarounds to the performance issues/lack of power... I learned A LOT that way and instead of using 20 fancy plugins during mixing and mastering I started to THINK.
Now I have an HP Pavilion G7 laptop. 2GHz AMD Dual Core, 4GB RAM. I've had it for about 6 months and never had issues. I never got Audition nor FL to screw up or anything and I've really played around with the thing. It's more than enough for me. I guess it's because I've learned to squeeze out the most out of weak computers.
I think all this can be an issue in the music industry. They've got the equipment and they've got the power. Sometimes that makes everything a lot easier... but one can easily fall in a comfort zone where one doesn't get creative nor thinks. It can also be applied to life in general. You start learning when you hit the bottleneck and start to find your way with what you can.
Some people really give up because they don't have the power in their computers and others just wondered how in hell I managed to make stuff out of a Compaq Presario!

Well my two year old MBP gave up the ghost last week...barely used, more just to update my iphone etc..

Wouldnt start up two weeks ago, now the repair shop is saying the logic boards gone...not worth replacing

I have an AIR with mountain lion as backup but its shit...mountain lion wont recognise half my devices and now shuts down if i plug in my powered hub

So ive bought a sony viao...twice the power for around $300 less than the MBP cost

I have a few older latops, even an old dell that i dropped onto the pavement from waist height...and it still works...im thinking that Pro maybe my last Mac laptop...just not worth it with the fragility and expense of their logic boards

Hello guys! I am not a computer geek but i already release some tracks in making beats online.. However are there any specs for a laptop where i can use all compatible beat making software on it..

Nope, you are done. I saw it coming...

Why is it that people think that this site could be a possible free place to advertize? All one would have to do, is read a few threads. Oh yeah, that would involve the ability to read....

Sorry Seo. Bye Bye...

I have a general question about Asus computers for recording. I've heard lots of audio guys say they use Thinkpads, Macs of various kinds, Dells, and HP's (elitebook/probook). but
I've heard very little about Asus computers. when I've asked, people have told me two things (both from non-recording people): 1.) that Asus makes its own motherboards, making it a very stable system and 2.) that Asus computers are great for gaming.

the general information I've heard about Asus computers seems to be overall very positive. so I can't help but wonder why I don't hear more about people using Asus computers for audio recording? are there compatibility problems that make them difficult to use? or is it that people ARE using Asus builds to record music....but just not as much as Thinkpads and
Macs? Bottom line: are Asus computers (with the right specs of course) any good for recording audio?

I think you don't hear about the specific brand so much because it doesn't really matter what you buy these days.

You could buy a computer from HP, Dell, Asus whatever and as long as they're matched spec for spec, they're going to do the same job.
In that scenario your choice just comes down to price, preference and looks/build.

Apple is a bit of an exception; That's obvious.

There are little intricacies; Things like X firewire chipset is no good for certain interfaces, or whatever, but nothing strong enough to say don't buy Dell/HP/Asus for recording.

Basically what I'm saying is when/if they all work, they all do the same job.
It's not like mics that capture sounds differently, you know?

As with anything, you just have to do the research. If you're buying, just be sure it's compatible with your existing hardware and software

So I'm about a hairs width away from pulling the trigger on a 3XS scan audio laptop (One of the two with TI firewire listed here).

I've been shopping around for a while, and given that everything I've found either costs quite a bit more, would come from the US (import tax is not fun), or is missing some key feature (No firewire/bad firewire chipset mainly)

And then this comes up, pretty decently specd and all, as far as I can tell it's perfect. And it feels too good to be true. So, does anyone know what the catch is? :p

So I'm about a hairs width away from pulling the trigger on a 3XS scan audio laptop (One of the two with TI firewire listed here).

I've been shopping around for a while, and given that everything I've found either costs quite a bit more, would come from the US (import tax is not fun), or is missing some key feature (No firewire/bad firewire chipset mainly)

And then this comes up, pretty decently specd and all, as far as I can tell it's perfect. And it feels too good to be true. So, does anyone know what the catch is? :p

A little late, but these machines look like they would do the job for years. I can only think that they would be better with the 3rd generation chip, but even at that it wouldn't be fast and hard rule.

Organising multiple posts

wellcome to this forum

I can only think that they would be better with the 3rd generation chip, but even at that it wouldn't be fast and hard rule.

Things like X firewire chipset is no good for certain interfaces, or whatever, but nothing strong enough to say don't buy Dell/HP/Asus for recording.

this comes up, pretty decently specd and all, as far as I can tell it's perfect. And it feels too good to be true. So, does anyone know what the catch is?

Things like X firewire chipset is no good for certain interfaces, or whatever, but nothing strong enough to say don't buy Dell/HP/Asus for recording.

I can't help but wonder why I don't hear more about people using Asus computers for audio recording? are there compatibility problems that make them difficult to use? or is it that people ARE using Asus builds to record music....but just not as much as Thinkpads and

All one would have to do, is read a few threads. Oh yeah, that would involve the ability to read....

Bottom line: are Asus computers (with the right specs of course) any good for recording audio?

Asus computers for audio recording? are there compatibility problems that make them difficult to use? or is it that people ARE using Asus builds to record music....but just not as much as Thinkpads and

i like this forum

choosing laptop for music making this is good idea because leptop have diffrent type tool that halp in music making.
---------------------
TIPS FOR LOGO DESIGN

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no particular brand of laptop outside of the Mac/Windows debate, anything with decent enough specs will do the job. It's more about what you're listening to it through/recording into (soundcard, monitors etc).

Back