choosing a computer for live audio

Giganova said:
I agree with you, elevate. Its interesting from a psychological point of view that almost every MAC user thinks that MACs are the most powerful, most this & that computers out there when they obviously got the facts wrong.

That's why I felt like replying earlier when it was said that the Alienware notebooks are heavier, thicker, slower, more noisy, whatnot, compared to a Powerbook, when none of that is actually true.

Yes i am a avid Apple user, but i dont go round saying that apples are more powerful than all Pcs out there, because i know thats not a true statement. You get what you pay for in computers, and when i paid £1400 for a mac, i cant compare it to my Pc which i paid £600 for downstairs, im sure if i paid £1400 for a Pc it would be just as powerful. The fact i was saying was that i feel that a G4 powerbook is more powerful than a centrino. Obviously you have your opinions, i have mine, lets leave it at that. I really cant be bothered with another Pc vs Mac debate like i said earlier, so ill leave it at that.

Also sorry to the guy that started this thread, didnt mean to hijack your thread mate :)

Tifstorey said:
Obviously you have your opinions, i have mine, lets leave it at that. I really cant be bothered with another Pc vs Mac debate like i said earlier, so ill leave it at that.
Translation: "I cannot disprove SPEC scores so I will just divert the discussion by saying it boils down to opinion, which it doesn't, but that's ok because I was full of shit to begin with anyway."

elevate said:
Translation: "I cannot disprove SPEC scores so I will just divert the discussion by saying it boils down to opinion, which it doesn't, but that's ok because I was full of shit to begin with anyway."

Thats how you translate it is it? Well, once again, your wrong...being wrong twice in one day? that must be pretty embarassing...

Like i said, i cant be bothered with having a 'debate' about this because we both have strong opinions about this. Personally, i couldnt give a crap whether you believe me, because i dont care. The fact i could go out there and give you a ton of spec comparisons between the two different processors which would prove that im right doesnt matter to me.

I think you need to remember that this is a forum which people help each other out, just like the guy that started this thread. Just because my age says "18" doesnt mean i dont know what im on about.

elevate said:
Based on what you want to do, I'd think a mixer in conjunction with a computer would be the best case scenario. That way, if the computer, for whatever reason, dies, you'll still be able to have a dry mix.

Then, are we talking about a setting like this?

gt5->mixer-(send)->ableton-(return)->mixer->amp or whatever
tr5 (drum module)->ableton with sampler&s/synths->mixer->amp or whatever

(vocals and maybe bass would follow the same path as guitar)

That's the conclussion i'm starting to reach. But, correct me if i'm wrong, I need to control the computer fx parameters from the gt5 and there are parameters (like mix/wet) that i wouldn't be able to control if my signal follows that path. Would this be the proper way to set a computer in a live gig (small gig)?

Tifstorey said:
I think you need to remember that this is a forum which people help each other out,
Yeah, so stop posting shit that's wrong.

Just because my age says "18" doesnt mean i dont know what im on about.
Actually, I didn't even notice your age. What clued me in that you were full of shit were things like:

"The centrino is...the vertiable Celleron if the mobile world"

"[the centrino has]...less than 1/4 of the cache of the Powerbook G4's chip"

"Everyone knows"

"x86 equivilant"

"[the centrino is]...designed to sacrifice speed and usefulness for longivity."

"saying that a centrino is more powerful than a G4 is just...wrong"

verytorpe said:
Then, are we talking about a setting like this?

gt5->mixer-(send)->ableton-(return)->mixer->amp or whatever
tr5 (drum module)->ableton with sampler&s/synths->mixer->amp or whatever
I think it would be better to set up some fx busses on the mixer, if the mixer has extra busses that is, and then route particular inputs to particular busses, or mixture of busses.

Have you thought about what type of interface you'll be using on that computer?

elevate said:
Yeah, so stop posting shit that's wrong.

Its not wrong, to be totally honest with you, from what youve been saying, i decided to look into it and find out what whether or not what i was saying was factual. I contacted a mate of mine who works at Dell and he said that even though he doesnt know any bench tests between the two that we've been talking about, he showed me a bench test from a G4 powerbook and a 2.1ghz Pentium M?. He said the results from that showed that the G4 beat it by around 10%-15% in each test. He said that the centrino is slight more powerful than the Pentium M bringing the power up by around the difference shown on the earlier tests.

Basically what im saying is that the G4 and the Centrino are more or less exactly the same in every aspect. Fair enough, i admit i was mistaken, but i was also not wrong in the things i said. If you want the last word again, go for it, but just remember mate that your not right either here.

Tifstorey said:
he showed me a bench test from a G4 powerbook and a 2.1ghz Pentium M?
And what's preventing you from showing us this bench test?

He said that the centrino is slight more powerful than the Pentium M bringing the power up by around the difference shown on the earlier tests.
Ok...now I know, without a doubt, that you are completely full of shit. Centrino is a package, consisting of a system chipset, a wireless chipset, and a processor. That processor is a Pentium M.

...just remember mate that your not right either here.
If that's the case, I'd like for you to show how. Oh, and "this dude I know that works for Dell showed me this thing, and..." doesn't cut it.

elevate said:
And what's preventing you from showing us this bench test?

Ok...now I know, without a doubt, that you are completely full of shit. Centrino is a package, consisting of a system chipset, a wireless chipset, and a processor. That processor is a Pentium M.

If that's the case, I'd like for you to show how. Oh, and "this dude I know that works for Dell showed me this thing, and..." doesn't cut it.

1: i dont have the bench test, i was talking to him the other night, he looked into it and told me.

2: if the centrino is a package, consisting of the pentium M as the processor, then i go back to standing by my word.

3: the 'dude' at Dell didnt show me anything, but im pretty sure he knows his stuff considering he works for Dell and is pretty high up there.

Tifstorey said:
2: if the centrino is a package, consisting of the pentium M as the processor, then i go back to standing by my word.
LOL! Go ahead, and stand by your idiocy. Wave your flag of ignorance proudly.
the 'dude' at Dell didnt show me anything, but im pretty sure he knows his stuff considering he works for Dell and is pretty high up there.
Yeah, he really must know his stuff if he's saying a Centrino outperforms a Pentium M.

I am in love with the design and detail of macintosh products. I went to the mac store the other day and fiddled with a few of the machines with Garage Band. The Mac Mini was very slow at loading like a 5 instrument track took about 60 seconds or so or something really long. The better powerbooks were better, but still slow at my PC standards.

The same question lingers in my head at the moment too, but I believe I'm going to go with a fatter desktop replacement laptop with an AMD 64 in it for live stuff, it might not be as pretty but it'll surely be a lot faster and perhaps cheaper too.

Tifstorey said:
1: i dont have the bench test, i was talking to him the other night, he looked into it and told me.

3: the 'dude' at Dell didnt show me anything, but im pretty sure he knows his stuff considering he works for Dell and is pretty high up there.

Well here's a bench from a while back that shows the an AMD64 wiping the floor with a G5 quite nicely.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

AMD64s have got faster since as well...

Tifstorey said:
Since when has this been about AMD64 and G5s?
It isn't, but frankly I'm amazed at your apparent reluctance to boldly claim that a G3 is faster than an AMD64 because some guy you know who works at Dell found some benchmark that said so.

Woah woah woah?! When did i say this? a G3 more powerful than a AMD64??? When did i even say this? Surely thats a typing error by yourself?

Tifstorey said:
Woah woah woah?! When did i say this? a G3 more powerful than a AMD64??? When did i even say this? Surely thats a typing error by yourself?
Read my post again.

Yeah, still doesnt make any sense mate. Anyway, im off out now, but just to let other people know who also may be confused, that i do not believe a G3 is more powerful than a AMD64. That would be a stupid statement. So lets leave it at that shall we?

Mac vs. PC - High End

I am looking at getting a new computer to use as a DAW. I am weighing a Mac vs a PC and have been slogging around the net. :p

Just in case anyone is interested, I found a neat benchmark comparison for the G5s vs Xeon, Opterons, Athlon FX55s here: http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html.

In case you don't care to look at it, basically, depending on the test, the G5, Opteron or Xeon is faster. Also, equivalent systems cost just about the same amount <within $200>.

The only downer is that they had no benchmarks for any type of audio. :(

Yeah, the old myth that MACs are more expensive is actually not true if you compare MACs and PCs with simiar specs. Turns out that they are almost the same.

I recently got an Alienware notebook with is similar to a high-end Powerbook, except that the PowerBook is actually a bit cheaper ($200 or so).

Back