Cheapest recording laptop for2015?

Jamrock

The other thread was from 2010 so its pretty outdated. I'm looking to start recording on the go. I have a focusright Scarlett 2in2. I'm looking for the cheapest laptop to record acoustic and vocals through abelton live. I don't want to have order new parts on top of it, I want to be able to use it as ordered. I'm not doing any crazy mixing stuff just classic acoustic and vocals . Thanks guys

Ableton Live is not a light application. If you have a free version, I suggest going with another DAW. I always suggest Reaper because it is one of the lightest DAWs out there. I use it on a dual core HP, very basic laptop and can track 16 channels with no problem. I do some light mixing, some EQ and compression, no heavy processing like reverb, other effects. Simple drum sim ( EZ drummer) for click, that is about it.

For that, most entry level laptops will get you there. Most lower end laptops use the 5200 RPM HD, I don't have issues with it, but that will be the biggest negative. Add an SSD to a cheap laptop with Reaper, you could get a lot of mileage with it. Total with Reaper and SSD, about $500 or less.

Hope this helps.

Ableton Live is not a light application. If you have a free version, I suggest going with another DAW. I always suggest Reaper because it is one of the lightest DAWs out there. I use it on a dual core HP, very basic laptop and can track 16 channels with no problem. I do some light mixing, some EQ and compression, no heavy processing like reverb, other effects. Simple drum sim ( EZ drummer) for click, that is about it.

For that, most entry level laptops will get you there. Most lower end laptops use the 5200 RPM HD, I don't have issues with it, but that will be the biggest negative. Add an SSD to a cheap laptop with Reaper, you could get a lot of mileage with it. Total with Reaper and SSD, about $500 or less.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Yea what I'm concerned with is the sound quality. I don't much about soundcards or even if they matter. Is there any laptops u can link me on newegg or amazon? That way I can look at the exact specs and might find something on sale that matches those specs.

Last edited:
Start with your Scarlett, it will have decent enough sounds. Once you get comfortable, then start looking for upgrades. I always recommend, buy something you think you need it. Don't go fishing, it will just cost money and make you not enjoy recording. You will spend money fast enough, just trying to avoid buying stuff that will sit in the closet.

One thing to really understand, when recording, the room sound will play into your recording. Just be aware, but when you mix, you need to start looking at your room, think about monitors, etc. Just keep that in mind.

Also, don't freak out over volume at the start, once you understand how to mix, you will learn on how to get volume in your mix. Just focus on a good sounding track, your sound waves don't need to look like tidal waves, just so you can hear the tones.

Back