cheapest possible way to record 4 tracks simultaneously to PC!

johnboy11

Hi there,

I've been searching for a very long time now for something with the ability to record 4 tracks simultaneously to the computer. Everything i've looked at (one example is the firepod) is way too expensive, as I only want this to mess around with a few friends after college.

I need to be able to record at least 1 vocal, 2 guitars and a keyboard at a time on to the computer, so that each instrument can be edited seperately on the PC after recording. I don't want to record each track seperately, all instruments&vocals need to be recorded at the same time.

I really don't have a lot to spend at all, i will buy second hand!

I'm really looking for the cheapest way possible. For example, if i were to buy a behringer xenyx mixer and plug the mic & 2 guitars & 1 keyboard into it, would there be any way i can get this onto the computer with each instrument recorded to a seperate track?

I read on another post that if i were to use a mixer, i'd need one with 4 channels and an interface with 4 channels, or something like that . . . Please recommend the cheapest! Even if it is a combination of equipment i will be happy. . .

Finally, i'd just like to say i'm not looking for real professional recording at all, simply a step up from plugging 1 microphone into my laptop mic-in slot and recording live just from that!!!

Thanks for any help, i really appreciate it, and sorry that this post is all over the place, but it kind of represents how i feel on this subject!

John

OK i've just seen the M-Audio Delta 44. . . Combined with a suitable mixer, would i be able to record 4 tracks at once (2 guitars, 1 mic, 1 keyboard)? Please can you suggest a cheapo mixer able to do this, with preferably 2 mic inputs in case we decide to not use the keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

By the way, i forgot to mention i will be using my laptop to record! I don't know if this will make a difference or not so i thought i'd bring it up...

You need either usb or firewire, laptops don't allow pci. So the delta 44 won't work. You also need 4 preamps with whatever you get. You could get a mixer, but it might be cheaper just to get outboard pres. You can get the SM PRO AUDIO PR4 for $79

So i need 4 preamps even though im only using 1 condenser mic? Will the SM Pro PR4 allow me to plug in instruments? im confused :(

Reactions: apl
If you want to plug in an instrument, DI(direct in), you still have to go through a preamp. Whatever you're recording, you need the signal to be line-level. A preamp does this. To record an instrument direct, you need a DI box like this, then a preamp.

Condenser mics need phantom power. All mics need a preamp. So yeah, if you want 4 channels of audio, you need 4 preamps.

I would suggest a used Presonus Firebox and a cheap 2-channel preamp.

Why, there just so happens to be one used one ebay buy-it-now for 200 dollars :eek::D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320147573694

In all honesty though, you can get em on ebay for under 200 a little - search completed listings. They come with Cubase LE, which is a decent piece of software - I know there's Reaper for free, but I like my Cubase :D

As for a two-channel preamp, there would be the extra cash. *Hmm*. You'd have to look around.

In regard to needing preamps for every channel, microphones need preamps, period. The preamp takes the tiny little output of the mic and boosts it. Condenser mics require (usually) phantom power, which is a separate need from the mic preamp, but often comes built-in for the sake of simplicity.1

For another channel of preamp, this would do well enough for ya:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482

I have one, it works in a pinch if I don't have my DMP-3 or other pre handy.

Hell, I never use it anymore, I'll sell it to ya 25 shipped... haha - but I know, this isnt the place to sell things. If yer interested PM me :p

You could run that preamp into channel 3 of the Firebox, and then run the keyboard's output direct to the fourth input - Im assuming the output on the keyboard is already line level as it usually is, so you don't need a preamp for that channel.

Bare in mind, that even with my couple of sale items, you are getting somewhat decent quality. Im sure you can get cheaper, but that interface or something equivalent will actually get you something that isn't junk. Just the ole 2 cents :p

btw, johnyboy, PM sent.

Hi all,

Thanks for the offer cusebassman, i really do appreciate it, but i live in the UK :)

Would the lexicon omega do what i want?

If not, i will sacrifice 4 seperate tracks for just 1 single mix, as long as i can adjust the levels of each instrument before recording to the PC.

i.e. behringer xenyx 802 & the behringer UCA 202? would this allow me to record all the instruments & vocals at the same time, only it will be mixed together when sent to the PC and recorded as 1 track right?

I'm really looking for the cheapest option to just get my band recorded. . .

Last edited:
Ahh, good. I'm from the UK. Ok here ya go. Cheapest 4 channel multitrack setup: SM PRO AUDIO PR4 £52, ESI U46 SE £64. Spend another £20 and you'll get free P&P. Di box £7, LDC mic £20. I'd suggest only DIing bass, and this mic for guitar amp.

What are you wishing to record? Drums, bass, guitar, and vox? Why not record separately, or at least drums, then guitar and bass, then vocals?

Hi pandamonk,

i'm looking to just record 2 guitars (electro-acoustic & electric), 1 vocal, 1 keyboard. Im looking now to just get a mixer and some kind of interface that connects it to the PC - im willing to sacrifice the whole seperate track for each instrument thing, and just have it all be mixed in to 1 track, as long as each instrument can be edited before recording on the mixer. . . What do you reckon? remember its just for a muck around

i was thinking the behringer xenyx 802 or 1002fx (in case we wish to expand to more vocals, bass guitar etc( & the behringer uca202 interface,. . . would this let me do what i want? any better suggestions on equipment similar to this and a similar price range?

Thanks

That would work, but it's much easier to record separate tracks then mix later, than trying to get it exactly right, in the mixing stage.

It's not much more expensive for the setup i suggested.

But it's your choice.

What setup would provide me better quality audio? i suppose if they are similar in price i now have to compare the quality i am going to get with each setup . . . Thanks

I'd say multitrack, just because you can spend time getting good levels while mixing, instead of guessing during recording. The quality will probably be similar, but multitrack makes it easier to get the right levels etc.

Also, if you can recommend anything better then what you have suggested above which costs a bit more, please do, because im looking to buy second hand anyway from ebay or gumtree etc, in which case it will be just as cheap yet better quality :)

Well, the m-audio DMP3 is a much better 2chnl preamp, you could get 2 of those, and a better converter.

I don't think you'll find things much cheaper though. Thomann is pretty cheap, also check out dv247.

You could get a PRESONUS INSPIRE 1394 and use the two pres on that with a dmp3. Or instead you could try to find an Alesis MultiMix 8 FireWire. This would give you 8ins(only 4 preamped), only £187.49 on thomann(you get 30day money back guarantee, n 3 year thomann warranty). If you buy one, you can send away to receive a free mic/accessory bag(worth $79), although, reading the small print, it appears to only include sales in the USA(BASTARDS!!). It can easily be upgraded with 4 extra pres, which you need for most things. You could upgrade with the pres i 1st suggested, or 2 DMP3s...

Last edited:
Back