Cheap ADAT card?

13th_Omen

I just finished building my computer. It is a beast... P4 2.8, 1,536 MB of Ram, 200 GB HD. Although, I am about out of money! I intend to get (2) Phase 88s giving me 16 I/O, but I can't afford it just yet. I was considering just getting a card that will take my ADAT optical. What is a cheap card that has the ADAT optical?

The cheapest I can think of is the E-mu 1212m, and it only gives you 1 in and 1 out. Current drivers don't support multi-card yet, so that's no go...

The RME Hammerfall light provides 2 but it's 400 dollars. Pretty damn great card, too.

M-audio lagoon offers 1 i/o and it's 300 bucks.

If you can get one for 200 bucks, I think that's about as cheap as you can get.

maddrummer said:
Frontier Design Wavecenter PCI. $289. adat I/O, midi and spdif. i just got one and it works great.

there ya go...get one of those and a cheap 8 channel adat interface (such as the broken adats i have on ebay heheh).

I just bought 2 new Terratec EWS88D cards (ADAT I/O + SP/DIF I/O and 2-16 channel MIDI) from JDSound for $125.01 each. I had one in a computer that got fried and was very happy with the performance of the card, so in my rebuild I went back to them. They are 24 bit and I use them with Adobe Audition and an ART pre with ADAT outs and a Tascam mixer ditto. Terratec's support has proven to be fast and courteous, which is important to this old unreconstructed analog guy. You can use up to 4 cards in a computer, but I don't ever need more than 4 inputs at once. I installed 2 to avoid repatching Lightpipe all the time between the mixer and the pre. I don't see EWS88Ds listed on Terratec's website, which likely means they have discontinued manufacture.

I had been considering the Terratec. A buck 25 is right up my alley! What's up with Terratec discontinuing their products? (ie EWS88/MT) It kind of scares me!

Back