CDRW shortchanging?

dobro

I buy CDRWs with 680 MB of space, but when I look at the disks I've formatted using EZ CD creator, Explorer says they've only got 559 MB of space.

Any ideas?

I would guess it's because you're using packet-writing, right?

I don't know what EZ-cd's packet-writing software is called, but I use Nero's In-cd which also significantly reduces the available space on a cd-rw when you format it.

If you need to use the whole 650MB of a cd-rw, just burn it like a regular cd-r (you can still erase it and re-record later on)

Hm? How can you burn a CDRW like a CDR? I thought the whole point of CDR burning is that it creates little pits in the surface of the medium, whereas CDRWs are erasable.

I'm thinking Emeric's right, though. I think it makes more sense, considering the low price of CDRs, to back everything up using them.

CDR and CDRW burning is basically a very similar process. Neither CDR's nor CDRW's are pitted when they are burned. Only real CD's are pitted (bumped actually). Both CDRW and CDR technology involves dye color variation to *simulate* the pits of a regular CD. The dye in CDRW media can be burned back to its original state (or close) and then data can be reburned, whereas a CDR can not be reburned. CDRW has less of a shelf life and is more delicate. Personally I only use CDR...and I've never found packet writing to be such a great thing.

Slackmaster 2000

Back