CD-RW problem.

Weissey

I have a digital recorder that I use for recording my own original tunes. The recorder has a CD player. I transfer my recordings onto a CD-RW inserted into the CD player. For a long time I've been successfully using TDK-RW discs, but they are getting old now so I bought some new CD-RW discs of a different brand. The new discs won't work in my recorder ---- they work everywhere else but not in this specific recorder. The recorder is a 14 year old VF80 by Fostex.

I always thought all CD-RW discs worked in any device anywhere in the world.

Any advice? Thanks.

I never used 'RW's so this might be worth diddly, but as I recall they supposed to be rather more finicky than the normal ones?

Do the old ones still.work? If not, it Could be the cd burner in the fostex finally died. 14 years is a very long time for stuff like that.

Have you tried a laser cleaner disc? I don't know what they do, but I bought one about 20 years ago, and when I use it on my 30-year old CD player, it does something, because prior to doing that I'll have skipping CDs, or CDs that won't play, but after they all work.

Maybe the burn speed is not compatible? Also very early CDr burners required a special disc for audio.

Alan.

Wikipedia:

CD-RW discs (CD-RWs) require readers that have more sensitive laser optics than plain CDs. Consequently, CD-RWs cannot be read in many CD readers built prior to the introduction of CD-RW. CD-ROM drives that bear a "MultiRead" certification claim compatibility.

Wikipedia:

CD-RW discs (CD-RWs) require readers that have more sensitive laser optics than plain CDs. Consequently, CD-RWs cannot be read in many CD readers built prior to the introduction of CD-RW. CD-ROM drives that bear a "MultiRead" certification claim compatibility.
That's an awesome copy and paste! Too bad it doesn't really speak to the problem that his old CD-RW's work fine, but the new ones don't.

Somewhere back there the physical capacity of CDs changed. I had some similar issue years back with my old V series recorder where the larger sizes didn't work and I had to hunt down the old ones - but CD-Rs always worked OK. Surprising that they never worked for you.

The universe is telling you to upgrade your kit....

My best guess is the cd recorder uses the cd-audio only blanks and not a data cd-r. And if I remember correctly, those recorders (or that format/media) was very particular.

My best guess is the cd recorder uses the cd-audio only blanks and not a data cd-r. And if I remember correctly, those recorders (or that format/media) was very particular.

No, he has been successfully using cdrw media for 14 years. Just not the new batch.

Back