CD file size?? ...& type

paresh

Hi - I just recorded a CD & when I mixed down to wav files, ea of the 4 tracks was about 150 MB. I just got a copy to proof bk fr the duplicating/mastering place & the file size says:

1KB for the shortcut icon & (when I look in "properties") 44 bytes/size on disc=2KB. How can this be? The tech said he didn't know but maybe fr compression? I don't think so...

It doesn't really matter except I'm trying to learn all I can about digital recording. A related question is: I tried to import this file bk into my recording s.ware to make MP3's & take advantage of the mastering & I cdn't do it. No file showed up in the CDr drive folder. However I still cd import the original wav files I burned but they don't have mastering yet.

Update - I may have partially figured it out - it says type of file is audio CD. Is that different fr wav files? Thanks!!!

CDA files, the files that show up on audio CDs, are just shortcuts to locations on the audio CD. They contain no audio information, hence the small file size.

There are a ton of free programs that allow you to rip tracks from an audio CD - EAC, CDEX, dBpowerAMP, WinAMP, Foobar2000, etc...

follow up question

Thanks - that was helpful. For some reason I thought audio CD files were the same as wav files but of course there's some difference & so the need for ripping as opposed to just importing the file.

My Cd plays OK on a portable CD player but my computer plays tracks bk in the wrong order - using Windows Media Player. Why is this? I don't use it much but I don't see any setting to change the order of tracks & don't see why I wd need to? Thanks.

Back