A cappella quartet practice track recording equipment - help needed!

Rand118

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums and I came in search of help trying to get the right recording equipment for what my group needs. I'm helping the director of one of my Christmas caroling groups put together rehearsal tracks for our singers to practice with. I've done recording with a single microphone using my Xenyx 302USB audio interface to my computer to mix and edit on Audacity, but we're trying to find an audio interface that lets us record with 4 microphones on 4 different tracks so we can adjust the volume after recording on 4 different tracks to create rehearsal tracks for each voice part. We want to record simultaneously and then adjust levels on the recording, and I can't do that with my current equipment. We bought the Mackie PROfx8v2 mixer thinking that would do what we want, but the output only had 2 tracks. We had to return that and I don't want to make the same mistake with our next purchase!

I was looking at the Tascam US-4x4 and I *THINK* it'll do what we want, but I was hoping somebody with more experience could verify if that would do it! Also, would the Tascam interface work with Audacity, or would we need to buy different software to edit the recordings on Windows?

Thanks so much for any advice and help!

Ryan.

Yup. The US 4x4 would do what you want.

A second method you could consider...

I sometimes do sound for a local acapella group and their preference is to use a Rode NT4 stereo mic which they gather around and then control their own dynamics/mix. Works quite well but they know how to use it.

Thanks, Bobbsy! That's exactly what I needed to hear. We do something similar for our performance recordings, with everyone adjusting to the group, but for the rehearsal tracks we're planning, we needed better control over individual volumes after the recording. Thanks so much for your reply!

Ryan.

Back