Can't hear recording in Cubase 5

ralphie94

I got a focusrite scarlett 2i2 recently and finally set it up. I set the playback and recording device on my laptop to the interface and on cubase I set up the device on the device set up and on vst connections i leave the input and output as stereo. Im using headphones through the scarlett because i dont have stereo monitors. Dont know if i need those but I cant afford them at the moment. I plug in my guitar and i can hear the guitar in a clean tone through the headphones. So i add an audio track and i start recording but i dont see any waves at all when im playing. So i stop the recording and when i playback i cant hear anything. Anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Whether you have monitors or headphones is irrelevant in your issue here. To me, it sounds like you're not getting anything recorded because of improper routing.

You have your VST I/O connections set, but make sure you highlight the audio track you want to use by simply clicking on it with your mouse. Then at the upper left column of that selected audio track, be sure you have selected/routed your inputs/outputs there as well.

If you're recording a mono track, either select Left or Right, depending on if you've plugged your guitar into a Left or Right input channel, if using Stereo track, and you're plugged into a Left or Right input, you may only hear one side or the other. If you're guitar is plugged into some kind of device 1st (an amp modeler, FX processor etc) then you can take it's stereo line outputs, and plug them into your sound card, in which you'll get both Left & Right to hear while recording etc.

Back