Can't enter into my BIOS after reinstalling XP

frank_1

I can't seem to get into my BIOS after I changed the boot list. The first on the list in now my CD-ROM, before it was my Floppy disk. I'm pressing F10 when I am supposed to, but it ain't working.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

This may sound like a stupid reply, as I don't know the method for entering you mobo's BIOS ..... but, are you sure that F10 is the proper key?
Two of my computers use the F1 key and the other three use the Delete key for entering the BIOS.

-Edit to add- A couple of my keyboards are Logitech Elite keyboards that offer navigation controls via the function keys. There is a F-Lock button that defaults to the off mode to allow for the navigation functions. If I want to use the function keys in their normal manner, I have to turn on the F-Lock.
Not sure if this applies to your keyboard, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Entering the BIOS shouldn't have anything to do with installing/reinstalling XP or any O/S for that matter. Just keep hitting as soon as you start your computer. Sounds like a weird problem to me.

if pressing the button a million times after pressing the power button doesnt work, try resetting your BIOS. Some motherboards are different, but most can be reset just by removing the MB battery and putting it back in. Look at your motherboard and find the small round batter. On mine I have to take it out, move the jumpers to pin 2 and 3 momentarily and then replace the jumpers back on 1 and 2. Then put the battery back in. But like I said, some MBs you can just pull out the battery and then put it back in and this can do the job. Read your manual to check.
Not sure if this will solve your problem....but hell, when in doubt just clear everything. Good luck :cool:

tpreager said:
Entering the BIOS shouldn't have anything to do with installing/reinstalling XP or any O/S for that matter. Just keep hitting as soon as you start your computer. Sounds like a weird problem to me.

agreed
try resetting your CMOS. As said above, if nothing else that should fix it, if not then that's very very odd.

Back